Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy lake effect weather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petee716 View Post
    They say that the lake effect will persist till tomorrow, then we'll we will get a regular non-lake effect regular snowstorm over the weekend.Amen ,Pete

yer when i lived in Darwin , El Nino was winds from the east , La Niņa was wind from west , i think the hot water in the pacific has more to do with the current running down the west side of Australia , its opposite to tuition , when the current is cold it drop's off the continental shelf , and the Australia > Asia shallow sea warms up , when the Lewain ? current is warm ( warmish ) , it rises above the continental shelf , and flushes Asia into the pacific and cools Australasia , japan> USA cops a heap of warm water , El Nino is back ( Indian > pacific oscillation )

Darwin is prone to La Nina cyclones , El Nino's tend too bounce off the top end or , cut all the roads and rail every year when they pass to the south ,
    its changed direction 2x in the last month ?????

When Iraq torched all there wells in 91 , india had failed monsoons , the current went cold ( 8 years later ) , dropped off the shelf , and we had cat 5 cyclones 1 after another . ,,recoreded wind speeds of 200mile per hour , cat / force 5 dosnt do them justice , the call went out for a cat6 ,
    No cat/force 5 is complete destruction ,
    Bigger will now be called " FOG " ( finger of god ) , wind speed over 320km/h or 200mph , they even passed laws that a " FOG evacuation means every one " dont wait until the army they come's with a syringe and straight jacket ( last one ) , if the sea breeze is up they might just declare " not enough time " and just shoot you
    Last edited by TopEndScraper; 12-13-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Is back on line

Wish you could send us some of that snow Petee, we are cold, -10f last weekend, but not much moisture.
    Where are the donuts?

I'd gladly send you all of it. Some folks are avid snowmobilers and some folks love to ski. I am neither one of those. I like to ski but don't do it frequently. I can live with the weather but someday, after my obligations here are past, I may seek a warmer climate. Sydney is appealing. So is Mexico. For now Ill grin and bear the lake effect.

Pete

Well Pete, it looks like you're having more of a real winter than I am, at least in terms of precipitation... I'm in central Wisconsin at the present time, too far away from the lakes to get any lake effect snow. We've had frequent snow showers but not a lot of precipitation at one time, the most so far was about 4 inches and there's maybe a total of 12 inches on the ground... the northern part of the state (where I plan on moving ) has gotten a lot more. Temps have been below normal most of the winter thus far, the coldest day we've had was a high of -2 F with wind chills of around -25... not warm by any means, but it can and will get worse. I don't any more, but I used to work outdoors all too often in the winter, the coldest working day I can recall the temp was -26 when we started in the morning, by noon it had climbed to zero and felt quite comfortable in comparison

I don't have any recent winter pics to share, but here are some from years past that were taken on the south shore of Lake Superior near the Wisconsin/Michigan border:

Out here near the south shore of Lake Ontario, it's been with freezing rain for the better part of last 24 hours, a thick coating of ice on everything. It's fairly windy too so lots of downed tree limbs, minor local blackouts etc. When I got to work this morning, all of the gates were frozen shut, took me a half hour get through.

Blog Entries
    Almost 60 and rainy today, tomorrow high of 31 and snow. Spent yesterday working on the sump pump in the cellar, because we started with about 8" of snow on the ground when it warmed up and rained.
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

I wish I had a sump pump. My basement floor drains lead out to a swale in the yard which is just about full because of all of the rain and 2ft of snow melt. Yikes. If it continues to rain I could have a wet basement. I just bought the house (ca.1930) and have a number of things that need to be addressed, including drainage issues on the property. They're calling for above freezing temps and rain for the next few days.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Petee716, I had a friend who used to live in Buffalo and heard lots of stories about the winters, you're a brave man!
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

The cold and snow I can deal with but when I hear "snow, then rain" or "freezing rain", I cringe... what an awful mess it is, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I feel for you guys and wish you the best of luck in dealing with it...

... light but steady snow fall the last few days, I've gotten about 5", Ashland (south shore of Lake Superior) got 18"!!!... now we get this:

(-17* to -27*C) Merry Christmas to us!
    Last edited by Essej; 12-24-2013 at 03:58 PM.