Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy lake effect weather

Yeah, no real precip this weekend but colder than a hag's heart. Low 20sF. I spent most of the afternoon outside melting the ice out of my chipper/shredder ( that'll teach me to leave it uncovered) and getting the frozen piles of leaves off the grass. I'm only home during daylight hours a few hours on Saturday and all day Sunday so I've gotten behind. I had to use a pitchfork for some of them. No problems, but you have to keep the skin covered, especially the bald head and the fingers!

Pete

Topendscrapper, it's the same with cold as with heat, the humidity makes all the difference. I don't know where Rocco is, but it sounds similar to here. In the winter the humidity is essentially zero. We have cold, but sunny winters. Working outside can be quite pleasant even well below freezing. It is when the sun goes down that you realize it's cold.

One interesting thing, we are over 6600 feet here. The other day I was talking to the guy who delivers our propane. He moved here from Tennessee, and he commented how much stronger the sun is here. More than a mile less atmosphere makes a difference.

Cheers, Carl
    Where are the donuts?

It's pretty damp here, relative humidity in the winter is typically over 50%. Today, it's just below freezing, 95% RH with light snow.

Okay, now we're getting it.

I hung my 8' Meyer plow on my truck on Saturday only to find that the pump motor was junk. Got the new one on yesterday.
    Snowblower's tuned up,reflectors are up in the driveway and the snow shovels are out of the shed.
    I guess I'm as ready as I can get.
    It's only a matter of time before northern or western members shows us what REAL winter looks like. Lol

Pete

Blog Entries
    wow my aircon is strugglin to reach 24c after 4 hours running from 38c inside ,
    that pic made me shivvver , i turned the aircon off
    Is back on line

We had about 3 inches on the ground for a couple of days, but the sun came back today and it is almost gone now.
    Where are the donuts?

What I showed above is all gone now. We had a couple of warm days and it went quick. It has been replaced with 2feet in the last day with another 2-3 feet expected. Pics to follow.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Petee716 View Post
    It has been replaced with 2feet in the last day with another 2-3 feet expected. Pics to follow.
    Pete
    Not surprised to hear that given the temperature and winds today. I'm at the red pin on this map, sweet FA on the ground here.

Radar 20131212_1208.jpg
    Last edited by rocco; 12-12-2013 at 07:42 PM.

They say that the lake effect will persist till tomorrow, then we'll we will get a regular non-lake effect regular snowstorm over the weekend.
    Amen

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Zadig View Post
    So many recognisable place names and it looks like the south of England I thought some cruel bastard had joined us to France!
    My area was settled by United Empire Loyalists, these people were basically refugees (mostly British) from the American revolution, they brought their place names with them.
    Last edited by rocco; 12-13-2013 at 12:06 PM.