Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy lake effect weather

Crazy lake effect weather

I live in Ontario Canada near the south shore of Lake Ontario. The Great Lakes can have a weird and profound effects on the weather this time of year, the attached picture was taken this morning at my sister's place about 60 miles away, overnight and this morning she got slammed with over a foot of snow, lake effect off of Lake Huron yet where I am, only a few flakes.
    London 20131124.jpg
    Last edited by rocco; 11-25-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Being on the eastern tip of Lake Erie its only a matter of time before we get ours in Buffalo. We had low enough temps over the last couple of days but no real precip to speak of. The weatherliars were calling for 4-13" with a scare advisory lasting all weekend. The lake freezes most years, but until it does we're subject to some pretty unpredictable snowfall.

Pete

I know you'll bag me out for saying this, but so jealous of you guys in the States/Europe where you get snow in your backyard, coming into Christmas here and we're looking down the barrel of bushfires and 40 degree days!

Tom

Yup! That looks cold!!! And all I have to concern myself about is getting sun burnt (It has been 24+C (75.2F) here the last few days)
    Keep warm and have fun!!
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Blog Entries
    Saw some thing last year where the wind over the great lakes blew the ice sheet into towns , with 5-6m piles of ice almost destroying homes ?

i saw snow once ( deep hale ) , and it wasnt in Alice Springs
    not looking forward to the 1+ week straight of mid to high 40's here , it was raining today , might have even rained on the rock <"a big red boondie" to the south west of here ,

we should start a thread , " Extreme foundry " where you cast some thing in a weard place with a good view , it would have to be a small furnace to carry to the top of Ayers Rock ( Uluru )
    Is back on line

That ice can pile up pretty massively on the shores. Meters high for sure, especially on the eastern sides of the lakes as the prevailing winds come from the west. I've never seen it airborne though, although it wouldn't surprise me. If you google Lake Erie you'll see that it narrows down to a point at Buffalo and feeds the Niagara River and Niagara Falls, which in turn feeds Lake Ontario. Because of the massive ice floes from Erie into the river they stretch an "ice boom" clear across the mouth of the river between Buffalo and Ft Erie,Canada to protect the downstream islands and properties from the ice as it breaks apart in the springtime. The downside of it is that it keeps the region refrigerated.
    We are fortunate here because although the snow requires definite lifestyle and maintenance considerations, the worst part of it is that it seems incessant once it begins. It gets old after awhile. The rest of the year makes living here worth it. I think oppressive heat would be a worse trade off. It has never reached 100F in Buffalo in recorded history, (close but never 100). I think I'll stay!

Pete

Blog Entries
    i just moved from the tropics to the dessert , at 38c im not even breaking a sweat , were at 10am ( smoko ) in darwin id be tipping it from my boots , and every southerner is complaning about the heat and wanting to knock off for the day ( over 36c ) lol , 30c with 95% humidity at 9am is like 48c 10% humidity ,
    no wonder my boss sends darwinites to the desert for summer

i cant stand the cold , ( less then 15c ) you get used to the heat , when your wet from sweat it dosnt matter coz its raining ???, nothing stops the cold but dressing up as the Michelin man and if your wet you die ( i dont even own a pair of jeans )

Alice springs is 100km south of the tropic of Capricorn , but in the middle of several deserts, i dont even thick the Tropic of Cancer passes through USA , some where south of Florida and i traveled 1000mile south to get to the tropic line , and didnt even leave my state
    Last edited by TopEndScraper; 11-25-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Is back on line

Pete, I was thinking of Buffalo when I initially made my post and thought it might elicit might elicit a response from someone there. I'm near the western end of Lake Ontario, Buffalo's less than an hour down the road for me, and even though I know all of the scientific explanations, I'm continually amazed at how different the weather can be only a short distance away, especially this time of year.

I just don't understand what makes it so worthwhile to live where it gets so cold... To me, ice belongs in a glass, and snow on a mountain top, and then only in the dead of winter.... We had our first frost this morning, only because we got a little rain the day before... It's bumping back up into the mid sixties for the next 10 days..
    When it's 117*f in the summer, I console myself knowing I won't be freezing my butt off come winter.. Sure it may get down into the teens for a few days every 5-6 years, but I can live with that.. Living in the desert almost all my life has really soured me on cold weather.

They now bill Death Valley as the hottest place on earth.... I'm here to tell you it's not the hottest place in the US... That title belongs to little place 65 miles north of where I am.. It's in Area 11, it's affectionately known as plutonium valley, the real death valley.. That said, what makes it worthwhile to live where I do is that the wind never comes from that direction...

I look at it this way, the coldest it gets around here is about 0F, a decent coat, gloves and a good pair of boots and you can quite comfortably spend hours on end outdoors at that temperature but it's damned near impossible to to make yourself comfortable at 117F.