+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carbon content in steel. How to measure?

Carbon content in steel. How to measure?

Does anybody know the simple way to measure amount of carbon in steel? For example I made ingot, what should I do to know if it is 1% or 1.5%.
    The classical way with acid and pellet weighting I know...
    May be there is something like color or whatever?

Not that I know of. You can heat and quench it and dissolve that in acid or so, noting the amount of Fe3C that doesn't react. A preparation I have mentions carburizing steel sheet with benzene vapor then decomposing it by electroplating in a FeCl2 solution.

Handbook of Preparative Inorganic Chemistry, Brauer, p. 1403.
    To isolate Fe3C, the sheet is placed in a neutral FeCl2 bath and used as an anode at the lowest possible current density. The bath is the same as used in the preparation of electrolytic iron. [p. 1490.] In this way very pure Fe3C is left behind as a coarsely crystalline gray powder. It is washed with dilute acetic acid, water, alcohol and ether, and dried in vacuum.
    Alternate methods: a) Iron carbide may also be isolated quantitatively while measuring the anode potential; see E. Houdremont, P. Klinger and G. Blaschczyk, Techn. Mitt. Krupp, Forschungsber. 4, 311; Arch. EisenMitteinw. 15, 257 (1941).
    b) Solution of white, low-Si pig iron in 1N acetic acid; see O. Ruff and E. Gersten, Ber. dtsch. chem. Ges. 45, 64(1912).
    c) For the preparation of almost pure fused Fe3C, see F. Wever, Mitt. KWI Eisenforschung 4, 67 (1923).
    Librarians are hiding something (tm)

+ Reply to Thread