Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning Tires

Quality woodstoves are hard to find- but they do exist. They need to be tight, and only let air through the designated vent. With a proper smoke stack, they'll pull enough air with enough force that the vent is more of a blower. Neat stuff- never burned rubber in one, though...

Whenever you see tires burning and making lots of smoke it is because they are out in the open and not burning under ideal conditions. The fumes released are not made hot enough to combust. In an enclosed wood stove you can control all that. That being said I will tell you that cutting up a steel belted tire is a pain in the behind. I have bagged and trashed them rather than go to the effort to cut them up in to small enough pieces to put in the stove. Like I motioned earlier, they really burn hot in a wood stove and you have to be careful not to put too much in at a time. There are electric generation plants that do burn them but not many as I am sure the ash is really hard to dispose of. That is the other reason not to mess with them, the ashes and what is left for the steel and glass fiber belting. The only way I would regularly mess with them is if I lived in Minnesota or somewhere Fricking cold like that and could burn them in a shop heater on a farm and only then if I had a nice private landfill [ditch] to bury the remains.
    Last edited by evlwht-guy; 09-26-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evlwht-guy View Post
    Like I motioned earlier, they really burn hot in a wood stove and you have to be careful not to put too much in at a time. There are electric generation plants that do burn them but not many as I am sure the ash is really hard to dispose of.
    There is a cement plant (Lehigh) just south of me that burns tires along with coal. They are making money two ways with that setup. First, since they are an authorized tire disposal site, they can charge something like $7 a tire to dispose of them for you. Second, for every tire they burn, they reduce the amount of coal necessary by 10 to 20 pounds, IIRC. It seems that burning tires AND coal is actually CLEANER than burning either seperately.

It looks like coal is going for about 3¢ a pound ($.03/lb or .04£/kg), so one tire saves about 50¢ of coal. Add the amount they charge YOU ($7) the the amount of coal they DON'T have to buy (50¢), and they can buy a decent cheeseburger or two.

Wish I could get into a racket like that...

Brian
    Art is the addition to any thing which is left after all of the functional is subtracted.
    -- me

Never play Jai alai with a baseball mitt.
    -- also me

Racket is right. Recycling: another one of the current day hysterias. My brother in law managed a recycling operation in a city in North Carolina for a while. They charge you to pick it up and then they sell it. Some of it anyway. He said most of it went to the dump; no market for it.

R
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My fathers company used to sell spinning machines that took plastic chip from soda bottles and made it in to yarn for making carpet. There are some economically feasable uses for recycling....but there are far less of them than is made out.

I got the tire off with some effort. It will go to the recycling center. They will take up to 5 tires per year for free. (Where did they get the number 5?) I still need to build a stack melter for my wheels but I can't find a heavy walled cylinder that is at least 22" in diameter.
    Some of these recycling centers are just ridiculous and cause people to throw stuff in the trash. I recently showed up (in Mooresville) with a few old particle board cabinets and some carpet on a trailer. They told me that "assembled" wood was charged by the pound at $2 per 100 lbs. I probably had about 200 lbs of cabinets. There was also a small charge for carpet. They told me I had to unload the trailer, drive over the scale, then reload the trailer with the wood and drive over the scale again. Then repeat this for the carpet! No way was I going to unload and reload the trailer twice. I offered to just pay $20 (which would easily cover the weight in question) but they would not accept that. I ended up taking my junk home, breaking it up and putting it in garbage cans at the curb. If you want people to recycle you need to make it EASY and EFFICIENT!
    Apparently Charlotte has plans to go to "zero" waste in the near future. I shudder to think how much time and energy that will cost. Also, that will make it difficult for me to get rid of my industrial waste!
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I If you want people to recycle you need to make it EASY and EFFICIENT!
    Apparently Charlotte has plans to go to "zero" waste in the near future. I shudder to think how much time and energy that will cost. Also, that will make it difficult for me to get rid of my industrial waste!
    R
    Seems like handling and sorting this sort of stuff would be an excellent job for welfare recipients. Would give them "Meaningful Work" build good work habits and "Pride" and also GIVE THEM AN INCENTIVE TO GET OFF THE FRIGGING DOLE....never happen!

Evl, there's a better solution to the tire problem than you burning them, or trying to whip the homeless into productivity to help solve it.. It's big oil that's throwing up road blocks ... I know you hate to hear that. To be more specific, the asphalt lobby.. That's what this company claims. http://www.phoenixindustries.com/AR_videos.html
    Actually, they didn't address the issue of burning rubber tires in a wood stove.. Unless you've found a way to take the smell out, the only way I could go along with burning tires in my stove would be if I really hated my downwind neighbor enough to shove a burned tire up his nose...
    If our relationship ever got that bad, I'd go straight to pressure treated lumber..

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Evl, there's a better solution to the tire problem than you burning them, or trying to whip the homeless into productivity to help solve it.. D
    Actually I was more interested in "whipping" the deadbeats in to productivity than anything. You term..."whip the homeless into productivity " has a real nice ring to me!

Quote Originally Posted by evlwht-guy View Post
    Actually I was more interested in "whipping" the deadbeats in to productivity than anything. You term..."whip the homeless into productivity " has a real nice ring to me!
    Evl, do you have any Norse blood in you? I can just imagine you, a large drumstick in each hand, striking the time on a Viking vessel, the HNoMS Dole.
    But, if you really got mad, you'd just hand those sticks to Tom Grosset.

Brian
    Art is the addition to any thing which is left after all of the functional is subtracted.
    -- me

Never play Jai alai with a baseball mitt.
    -- also me