Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you making on your CNC

What are you making on your CNC

As the title said.
    I know a few members have CNC, would be good to see what is getting made.
    I will start with a few of mine, quite basic but I am new to the CNC world.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

Blog Entries
    tonight i installed a new Gecko G201X for my 4th axis , and wired it up to my BOB , tomorrow night ill get the Mach3 settings in ,and get it running ,and change the plugs on the stepper from audio plugs china puts on them , to the molex 4 plug of old hard drives ( rated for 7amps)

at the moment , i strap a spanner on the yaxis ballscrew end and clamp it in position , and use the yaxis stepper driver as the 4th axis driver ( separate mach3 set up for mill )
    looks like your using a 3D CAM , you could probably do those with a 2D CAM ? brake the drawings into lines and use a 5deg sided ballnose , rather than 3D ,
    nice work , nearly forgot
    you must love the time it takes , i would have been a bit more wary before buying mine ,if i knew one of my violin molds would take 18hours to mill , lol , but since i got it i haven't looked back , the learning curve is massive and never ending , learning to draw in cad is the hardest ,lol 2 years ago i started drawing in CAD for the first time , my CNC is a CHINA EBAY $2000 6545 1.5kw spindle , but with all gecko stepper drivers with a optocoupled BOB and proper spindle VDF , chalk to cheese compared to the twitchy original "made in china " box that it came with it

last weekend i cut a escarpment for a clock out of an old sign as a test of the tooth angles , it worked , its just an old aluminium clad plastic sheet that was once a sign , one corner was mangled from a car crash , got it for free so cant complain about how loud it is ,

click on the video below

this is the clock im drawing up in CAD , the cogs are attached to the hands , stil a lot of work to go before im happy with the way it looks , the drawings at the moment have been updated to a double planetary gear hour hand ,once the plans have been tested they will be brass cogs , a long term project

the escarpment has 60 teeth , and the pendlum length is a one second time , since the main cog go's around with the hand i needed a 61:1 gear ratio , so a 2:1 (60/30tooth) , 2.5:1 (50/20tooth) , 2:1 (60/30tooth) , 6.1:1 (183/30tooth) worked out quite easy , arranging the cogs isn't that hard ,i swung arcs from the bearing centers , worked in from both sides until the 2 arcs pinpoint the center of the axle of the last set of cogs

ive got a folder with about 120 projects ( dxf outlines) most are those "animal puzzles " where the peaces slot into each other to form a dinosaur or dragonfly , i can email you a zip file , its pretty huge zip folder , ive just been collecting them for 3 years , when ever i see a free one on the net ,i add it to the folder
    Last edited by TopEndScraper; 02-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    for all those CNC blokes out there
    to get a DXF surface mesh of any object , there is a great new software fix from AutoDesk called Photofly / 123D catch

photograph an object at 10deg spacing ( 36 photos) around and object , do that 3x at different heights , up load all those images to the cloud , telling them where the groups of the 3 rings of photo's start and finish , wait 6 hours , they email a " check image " for you too refine , send it back , another 6 hours your perfect CAD surface mesh file is ready to run through CAM , and machine up a copy on your CNC , any object

using it i found the background needs a lot of detail so they can find the angle better , have your camera set in manual so it dosnt change the exposure between shots , move quick in sun light as the sun moves , dont use a flash , dont zoom between shots , watch out for moving clouds / cars

with the violins and cellos i did , i added a ruler in the shot for scale , it worked so well , with good images i got a surface with in 0.5mm over 300mm

take photo's of a building ,run the 123D catch , export the file as a CAD you can open , 3D slice the OBJ file at a good point , scale to depth too 1inch , instant relief CAD file for cast name plates , bronze statue copying in scale/relief ? using a ballmill with 3-5deg sides will automatically give you draft and undercuts will be ignored when machining mesh files ,

LOL I HAVE OPENED A CAN OF CREATIVITY NOW
    you dont have to be good at sculpting , take a heap of photo's of some one sitting still , and CNC the wax for a bronze bust ,brake the bust into 75mm thick slices , and assemble and just clean up the joins for a life size one

a tube of someone else's work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IW-dNpEo2A
    tutrial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jIU0vJdAHs
    the best part is that its free
    join up to AutoDesk and receive junkmail
    and down load from here http://www.123dapp.com/catch 75.3MB you need at least a coreduo with over 1gig ram XPsp3 too windows 7
    Last edited by TopEndScraper; 02-05-2013 at 06:34 AM.

As most of you know I have been cutting parts for my pump.

And a few other things!
    This

to this

I have other stuff but I would have to look.
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

i used to dabble w]ith the wood work(cnc router)not so much now but a few bits i knocked up
    woodwork1.jpg
    woodwork2.jpg
    woodwork3.jpg
    Last edited by deisel; 02-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    I wish someone would cut a set of letters in relief in MDF, and cast them in zinc or something...

There was a thread in the not too distant past, but Im having trouble finding it...someone milled out a plaque in MDF - they made it a little thick so that it would fill easily, and cast zinc into the MDF mold. Then they milled the whole thing down so that just the letters remained, and the backing of the plaque was gone. We all are always looking for good pattern letters, and I think it would be very possible to make something like these letter board plastic letters:

cast in zinc, and sell them to backyarders - offer up different fonts or sizes, and do them simply in 2d - mill out a simple 5mm backplate, and the letters and connecting legs with a pyramid shaped cutter - then mill the whole thing out so just the letters and the connectors remain - you could probably even reclaim most of the backing that was milled away...

maybe I am simplifying things, but Id have to imagine its very doable...

Blog Entries
    letters from $2 each , aluminium 1/4inch too huge , http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_s...fLoc=2&_sop=15
    MDF 3mm thick $1 each http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_s...s&LH_PrefLoc=2
    Last edited by TopEndScraper; 02-05-2013 at 01:54 PM.

TES
    Top edges are all rounded over so 2D wouldnt work, smart clock, I have been looking at wood clocks sites.
    Nudge
    I like the face what did you draw that with?

Donk

Edit, just made a zip for Nudge with all the code and drawings for the bird, let me know if anyone wants a copy
    Needs must while the devil rides.

Nudge
    I like the face what did you draw that with?
    I stole it off the net!
    Have a look here there is a heap of good stuff.

I can fire the code back at you if you want it???
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Some stuff I do with my old Bridgeport+4th.