Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2x72 belt sander build

Yes it is. I found a new source north of Edmonton its 125 mesh. I wish I didn't buy 90 gallons of the other stuff. Oh well it might be good for the kids sand box. Let me know if you are interested in some of it. I found some different oil too.

A noose question here, what exactly is a belt grinder used for other than knife making. Also I'm thinking of building one, how many fert per minute should it run at, what's the difference of higher/lower speed other then the obvious one takes of more metal.

I use mine for pattern making all the time.... one of the most used bit of kit in the shop!!!
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Ya they have many uses. I think around 5000in/min is the standard speed. I used a 3 step pulley to go 20% over and under 5000. The finer belts run slower. Do build one. The first time I used one I was like WOW that removes metal way better than a bench grinder.
    I have made a little more progress I will have to get some new picks up.
    Stephen

Sdeering, where did you find your 125 grit sand, I am currently using play sand and living just out of sherwood park and I'd like to get my hands on some finer sand.

target sand and gravle in Morrinvill Im not sure how it will work in green sand, I use it in oil bonded, but post your results please.
    Last edited by sdeering; 06-08-2013 at 12:39 AM.

LM125 should work fine in green sand. you might have to add a bit more bentonite though.

Hey glad to see you join Rupert. Welcome abord.

Thanks. Had to see what your sander looked like. It's great.

I will be hopfully picking up some belts next weekend at the Knife making hammerin. Maybe I will get some more picks up after that.