Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Scavengers new furnace build!!!

As promised here are the updates.

Here are some pictures of the failed bricks from my previous furance build that contained LECA. That is 3,400 degree refractory fluxed to nothing!

We got started Saturday morning by laying out supplies.

Here is my crucible.

Here is a picture of my crucible next to my a-10 and my a-12...

Even in the picture it does not look as big as it does in real life. The thing is a bucket!

Some shots of the materials.

I do not want to overload this post so more coming.

So we got started by laying out the bricks. I wanted all the bricks evenly cut; so with some layout a lot of fussing (my dad and I both tend to be chiefs) and some math we drew out the template and came out with a 14" bore using 11 brick.

I set up the tablesaw with a masonry blade. We came up with a 20 degree angle for the brick and mitered about 1/4" from the brick corners.

They layed out nicely. We wanted some gap for refractory to fill so we came up with this.

I want a hole in the bottom of the furance to drain out slag and spilled metal. So we went with a five inch hole.

We cut out a piece of blanket for the bottom.

And laid in the fire brick for the base. I did not get a photo of that one.

We cut the fire blanket to be about an inch short of the finished height of the furance. I used one full layer and had to pull apart the second layer to make everything fit up nicely.

We then laid in the fire brick and used a circle template (ironically left over from making my brick molds. The OD of the first furnace is the same as the ID of my new furnace!) I used pieces of blanket shoved into the brick gaps to hold them into place. It worked out very well. No special forming required.

More coming you picture fiends.
    Last edited by indiscriminate scavenger; 01-21-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Now the excess drum was cut off and the furance was now taking shape.

Next, it was onto the lid. I used 2" thick fiber board. It is only rated for 2,300 degrees. I easily burned it with a torch so I know I have to keep flame away from it. I decided to use up most of my refractory here. We took some of the excess drum and cut a 3" band.

We used the reinforcement bend to our advantage. It is a stopper for the fiberbopard and something more for the refractory to grab onto. The fiberboard cut easily with a sabersaw.

I decided to go with a 5" vent so I cut a 7" hole in the fiberboard and found a cardboard baby formula can for a form. Nice and simple.

Now it was onto refractory. I had only one bag left, so we made it go as far as we could. We got the lid filled

And the furance coated.

The refractory set up fast and was very hard. It came out good. We were at this point @ 5:00 on Saturday when we shut it down. The wife wanted to spend time with me just because it was my birthday or something like that.

So lots of progress; not as much as I would have liked but there were are... But what about Sunday???? More coming.

Justin

Sunday, we stopped by Home Depot after church for some pipe. It is a rip-off that 72" of pipe cost the same as 10'... The wife looked at me funny when I told her we were going to haul 10' of pipe inside her Xterra (I think I have hauled 10' goods in there before.....When she was NOT with me) I ended up tying it to the roof. My dad was not feeling well and the wife and kids went to visit family. It was a beautiful day unlike the last 2 weeks and I was feeling good about the days possibilities. I was alone with only my thoughts, with no possible interruptions. Exactly the way I like to work in my shop....

No sooner as I got my shop opened, family drama stuff that has nothing to do with me came to me; more specifically it came into my shop; my sanctum, and my refuge. I need to make and put up some "No drama, no bitching, no wining.... no shit" signs on my shop. Once I was done playing Dr. Phil and making everybody un-sad I was spent and had to take a nap to recover from my greatness.

By then it was late, but I had to get something done. I decided to work on my pouring shank. I used a steel cable pulley and turned out the center to be used as a ring to hold my crucible. I used 1 1/4" pipe for the handle.

Here it is welded.

Then I started the hold downs. It is a simple design that has worked great on my a-12 shank. I built the a-12 shank to be a 2 man operation just to get us used to working togehter and to make sure my design worked. It is so simple and easy to use. It is also self adjusting as the crucible shrinks. You can not shake the crucible out of this shank.

Here are some pictures of my a-12 shank.

And some pictures of the a-35 shank.

I have a few parts to make and beads to run but it is almost done. I like this design because the hook is self locking. The more weight on the crucible the firmer it locks down. Of the 10 or so pours we have made with the a-12 shank we have had not one issue with the crucible slipping or moving.

So... What yall think about that for 12 hours of work?

If this build looks familair I would like to give credit to SVseeker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f10hqYGIJCE

Their build is about what I needed for my requirements. I did not follow it exaclty but got lots of inspiration from there.

I will still have time to get the furance done by the weekend. I was hoping to get the pouring shank and the lifting tongs done along with cutting the hole for the burner. I am thinking of using 2" pipe and a new kwiky burner. I am thinking of taking some 2" pipe and grinding some saw teeth into the end of it and using that to bore a hole into the furnace. I do not want to lay out cash for a core drill for ONE hole.... So does anybody have any better ides for making a nice neat burner hole? The brick is very easy to cut so I don't think it will be all that difficult. I want something that is fast and makes a nice tight hole. I do not want any leaks on this furance.

I wanted to pour this weekend using my old fuance, but it was not in the cards. My old lid was GONE and my ferrosilicon did not come it. I am going on 8 days now not seeing any liquid metal. Starting to twitch....

Justin

Very, very nice work Justin. Everything looks grrrrrreat! 12 hours is pretty darn good time to get all of that done as well. Kudos

Blog Entries
    Awesome, awesome furnace - you should be proud! That thing looks GREAT!

I was also wondering about the tuyere. A pipe section with teeth cut into it and a torch heat-treat should cut thru that brick...maybe wrap a coarse hacksaw blade around some pipe and tack it in place?

Either way, I think youre going to be VERY happy with that furnace!

Thanks guys, I really think this furance is going to top expectations. Using what I have learned from here, it has low thermal mass and is well insulated. It should heat up quickly and hold heat.

Now I am wondering. With crucible size and furnace size increased, what is the melting time? Will I use more gallons per hour? Or the same GPH for a longer time. I also understand more BTU's added = faster absorbtion = faster melt time.

Now as it stands, from cold I can fire up and have pouring iron in one hour and I use about 2.5 gallons of oil. That is an a-12 crucible.

I know some of you have this size crucibles. How long does it take you to melt a crucible of metal? How much oil is used?

Justin

Administrator Site Admin
    In my big furnace with a 3/4 inch Mizzou hot face and 3 inches of ceramic wool, using a Lionel Brute, I melt a #30 crucible of bronze from a cold start to 2300 F in about 45 minutes using a little more than a gallon of waste motor oil.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Wow Justin, very impressive. All this skill and motivation AND a sensitive side too? You are over the top,man.
    Seriously, nice work.

Pete

You will probly notice a it takes quite abit longer. Thats a big furnace. From my 6 Lb to 20Lb it is quite noticable.
    Cant wait to see more progress.