Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scavengers new furnace build!!!

Scavengers new furnace build!!!

Lots of good things happening over at my shop. Finished parts are selling, and orders are coming in. My father and I are VERY busy trying to keep up. It seems like a long time ago when we pulled our used Johnson gas furnace out of the junk pile of one of our favorite places to scavenge. But that was only a year ago and what a journey it has been. In that time we have gone through 4 burners, a few lids, lots of oil and a huge learning curve, and don't forget the crucibles.... Oh the poor crucibles! May they each rest in pieces.

Now we are selling finished parts as fast as we can make them!

At this time two crossroads have come up. One is our furnace. It was well used when we got it and have fired over 400 melts in it. The poor furnace has way outlived its expectancy. I have burned up several lids and it no longer seals off. So a new one is needed.

At the same time, my furnace capacity is limited. It started out with a 10" bore to accommodate an A-10 crucible. Liner failure has eroded the furnace to allow an a-12 to fit. The A-12 only holds about 30 lbs of iron so part size is limited. I need more iron.

Some of you may remember my first furnace build. It never got finished. http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...highlight=leca

Here is why. I used leca to try and add some insulative value to the refractory. It worked and I ended up with nice bricks using molds of my own design. I got most of the bricks made less some of the body bricks. The lid and base were finished. When my Johnson furnace lid failed I grabbed the lid from my new furnace and made up a nice lid lifting system. It worked great.... Until I melted cast iron. The leca melted and when it did it fluxed the refractory causing failure after 10 melts. I may have had the wrong leca, or too much or too little, but it did not work out for me. Rather than use up my $150 a bag refractory experimenting, I decided to rethink and go with all commercial stuff.

So with those two factors I have an A-35 being delivered today and I just got back from picking up my materials for my new furnace. I found a place here in Houston that I am going to distribute all around. This place was great as were the owners. They are not well advertised as they cater to industrial and commercial customers. They do sell to individuals like me and are very nice to talk to. They are KT Refractories http://www.ktrefractories.com/index.html Jane Liu and her husband own the company and were very helpful. They stock most of what they carry and the pricing is GREAT!

I purchased IFB with 10 bricks per box for $49.75. These are 2800 degree brick! 9" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2"

I got fiber blanket for $95. It is 2600 degree #8 that is 2' x 25'

I also got ceramic fiber board for a lid. I have not seen anybody use it for a lid before... it is 40"x48" x 2" thick. It was $91 for the sheet. I should be able to get 4 lids out of it very easily. They did not have the 2800 degree board like I wanted, so I got the 2300 degree board. I plan to hot face it with my Greencast 94 plus refractory. It is rated for 3400 degrees F.

My basic design is castable hot face over the IFB insulated by the blanket and all packed inside a 55 gallon drum. It should be well insulated and last a long time. Using commercial stuff it should go together VERY fast and be ready for use very quickly.

So my first question.... Has anybody used the fiber board for a lid before?

In all I am excited. I have a lot of work to do this weekend and will post the entire build here. I hope to build a new burner, lifting tongs, pouring shank, and the furnace. All while still trying to get parts out the door....

My goal is to melt an A-35 crucible of iron in it next Saturday. I am behind the ball and I find deadlines make for great motivational tools!!!

Pictures will be posted on Monday.

Justin

Very excited for you Justin. I'll be watching!

Pete

LUCKEEEE!
    I have no doubt that you will have a seriously badass furnace when finished. Have fun man.
    Gary
    "If you're ever traveling through time, and you see yourself coming from the other direction, DO NOT make eye contact."

I had to log in and post this. When I made it into the driveway, I saw my crucible had arrived...

When you are used to looking at an a-10 crucible, and you get an a-12 the new crucuble is huge by comparison. When you pull out an A-35 you question your sanity.

This thing is HUGE! I can almost fit my head inside this thing. I tried. And you all know how big people from Texas' head can be! No I have not been drinking... Yet. Stay tuned!
    Justin

Blog Entries
    I use the fiber board covered in a phosphorus based refractory as a lid. The refractory cracked after a few uses. But I attribute that to the fact that theres no frame to hold it together, and structurally the different expansion rates were too much. It still works though, I just use gloved hands to remove it. My furnace only really ever sees aluminum despite the fact that my materials could handle more. Use a decent gauge steel frame and lifting system, and you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by indiscriminate scavenger View Post
    When you are used to looking at an a-10 crucible, and you get an a-12 the new crucuble is huge by comparison. When you pull out an A-35 you question your sanity.
    You know, when you put it like that - it really puts in in perspective! I read through this earlier, and just kinda skimmed over it. I have a couple of A-10 SiC... 3.5x that size. You're not handling that thing alone full of iron I hope! And if you are, I hope you at least have mechanical help.

You will of course honor us with pictures of the new furnace and crucible soon? Hopefully?
    When all you have is a foundry, every problem looks like a casting.

Alloy Avenue Member Map

Sounds like the new furnace is gonna be pretty sweet, can't wait to see it come together.

Love it... You got tools to handle that monster yet, or are those on the list too? ... they better be pretty stout

You will of course honor us with pictures of the new furnace and crucible soon? Hopefully?
    Yes... pics, man, pics... we need them
    Last edited by Essej; 01-19-2013 at 01:48 AM.

It seems my phone is not uploading to photobucket ot to the attachments on this site. I will retry later.

Hey, and what kind of burner you throwing in there? The Delavan maybe?
    Gary
    "If you're ever traveling through time, and you see yourself coming from the other direction, DO NOT make eye contact."

Know the feeling on the sanity thing. I felt the same way the first time I saw my A25. You'll get used to it..