Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2013 Casting Contest(s) - Anyone given it any thought?

Blog Entries
    Then again, the pattern is (obviously) key in the casting itself.

I was thinking that CNC would be excluded to "level the playing field" but then it occurred to me that most people on here who have the money for a CNC and other machine tools also have the skill and know-how to go along with it so the playing field really would be even, however unfortunate for those of us who don't have CNC or other such capabilities.
    We could do different categories of how the casting is produced but I think that would just leave us with as many categories as members.
    BYMC Member Map | My Hobbies | Anon's Foundry Tutorial

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

Cave man casting!!!!! Have to make a furnace, pattern, casting, from just what you can find while on walkabout.... Can not use anything you all ready have on hand.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Cave man casting!!!!! Have to make a furnace, pattern, casting, from just what you can find while on walkabout.... Can not use anything you all ready have on hand.
    That sounds like fun! Makes me think of that thread that was posted a bit ago. About a tribe in [insert country]? I tried to find it. There was a you tube link on it to a series of videos. If anyone can help me here...

If you know what I'm talking about, and you made it to (skipped to) the part where they pour - it was quit ingenious! Lost wax mold and crucible were molded in clay/sand as one. Single use. The two were oriented at roughly 90*, heated together, obviously, then the pour was conducted by pulling everything from a charcoal furnace and tipping the entire mold/crucible. I believe it was brass they where pouring.

Caveman Toy casting contest maybe?!?!
    When all you have is a foundry, every problem looks like a casting.

Alloy Avenue Member Map

Maybe I can talk moya into this?? I know some good woods.... and have an Idea!!
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....

Sign me up!

@ solar freak- was this what you had in mind?

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/wax/hd_wax.htm

Actually this sounds more like it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REutkpo3ors

really interesting to watch