Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP wiring a Beckett AFG Oil Burner

The blower itself will be an ordinary squirrel-cage type, all of the blast power comes from the turbolator on the nozzle end of things. With the transformer flipped up, it'll be a weak breeze coming off the blower and a majorly smokey fire if it ignites like that from the lack of air.

Your pump may require priming. The picture you have that shows the pump has the high pressure line to the nozzle visible, right near it is a bleeder fitting- use that with a hand pumped brake bleeder, or elevate the fuel tank above the burner so that the oil runs through and primes the pump before turning it on.

Mine always makes a gentle humming when run with an unprimed pump and the igniter disconnected, prime it and the pump makes a more aggressive sound along the lines of a hydraulic noise.

Though your motor runs, that's progress at least. Before you get too eager into tearing the pump itself down, try a known-good nozzle (Such as a new one from a sealed tube) and work with the plumbing around the pump first. You can also tap into the high pressure line and install a pressure gauge- a typical 0-200 PSI gauge will suffice. Most nozzles need at least 85 PSI to operate reliably, but most burners run between 120 and 180 PSI.

With the motor running, note the direction of rotation- which should be visible on the blower wheel during spin-up and spin-down. Somewhere on the motor or pump will be a rotation arrow. I doubt it's backwards, they usually used a single-phase motor that is factory set to the correct rotation, but it doesn't hurt to check.
    Last edited by einstein; 09-02-2012 at 05:03 AM.
    The only difference between being a genius and being insane is being right.

My Oil Burner

Want a site of your own to document your foundry adventure?

Take the burner tip off and get the pump working first! the pump will need to be primed. the easiest way to prime the pump it to have the fuel higher than the pump, there will a plug to let the air out on the top side of the pump. undo the plug and let the pump run and see if fuel will come out. once the fuel is flowing, do up the plug and see if the fuel will flow. (with the tip off)
    Once you have got that far then look at the tip (I had to get new ones for my burner)
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Blog Entries
    That pump is exactly like mine - Ive already explored inside of those, theres not much going on, not much to gain from opening it. Your problem is definitely air in the pump. Open the valve on top to prime it when you first turn it on. IT will take a few seconds, and then oil will begin to flow out. DOnt open it all the way, just a turn or 2...it will be pressurized, and will come out fast.

Like mentioned before - keep the lines/pump full of fuel by keping the fuel line full and submerged in the fuel tank, and youll be fine.

Red face

wahooo..I got back out to play with the oil burner tonite before dark....I opened the bleed cap and spun the motor...oil came squirtin out like a jet...YaY...closed the bleed cap...spun the motor...drizzle at nozzle....Boo....got the 5/8 socket and popped off the nozzle....its full of gunk....I sprayed it out with WD40 spray....and spun the pump...and oil came squirtin out the tube without the nozzle...YaY...so far...so I bring the nozzle back to the bench and try to clean it up. I was thinking to open it all the way up...but when I plied the 5/8 nozzle tip it only spins out a few turns and then stops....I had a litebulb moment....when they removed the furnace the closed off the nozzle so it wouldn't drip...I thought to myself....so even with some gunk in the back I re-installed the nozzle...opened it up all the way till it locked and spun up the motor...Viola...a beautiful gas mist...so I am now removing the nozzle and I'm going to soak it in gasoline over nite and spray it out with air, then re-install it and try to get it burning using a small propane torch to ignite.....should work....IF that works then I'm on to figuring out the sparker ignitor thing wires...I'll get some pix when it makes fire!!!
    Living online at www.marksworx.com See My Furnace Videos NoW OnSiTe, Tons of Pix, fun stories of my builds, projects, weird ideas and more..Please Come See.
    And Visit the Page Sponsors if you please on your way to your next location!! Other exciting adventures: www.digitaldatatransfer.com Audio/Video Related Stuff, www.vetshistory.net A Tribute to Veterans
    and www.vintagealtecinfo.com I'm sort of an old ALTEC Audio fan!! The Crazy Cat Lady's Paradise is coming soon!

Sweet at least you are getting closer

Yeh, sounds like you're getting close! You're going to love it...

One suggestion, based on my experience. Those nozzles are very sensitive to dirt and what not. I cleaned the one that came with my burner in carb dip and it made a world of difference. I'm sure you're will work well also. I ordered some replacement nozzles in different sizes (gph) to experiment with. I was utterly shocked when I switch to a new nozzle (only minor difference in gph). The flame went from smooth and really hot, to a smooth roaring thing of beauty!! New nozzles can be had for $6 to $10 (ebay or ???)

When you get it burning, pics please!!
    I seem to have accumulated so many things that I need, that I have no space left to use them in...
    Alloy Avenue Member Map

Cool

sooooooo close...I made FIRE with the new oil burner
    ( running old fuel oil, filtered, for now, a mix with waste oil soon)....

I melted aluminum......then it just stopped after about an hour...hmmmm...wonder if it overheated the motor or???

the motor just shut down and poof out went my fire... [:-(

letting it cool down and will try again...this time with pictures!

also since the nozzle spins in & out a couple turns...is it regulating the output volume maybe? seems like a sorta wimpy flame...or maybe its dirt and I need to clean it out again....
    Living online at www.marksworx.com See My Furnace Videos NoW OnSiTe, Tons of Pix, fun stories of my builds, projects, weird ideas and more..Please Come See.
    And Visit the Page Sponsors if you please on your way to your next location!! Other exciting adventures: www.digitaldatatransfer.com Audio/Video Related Stuff, www.vetshistory.net A Tribute to Veterans
    and www.vintagealtecinfo.com I'm sort of an old ALTEC Audio fan!! The Crazy Cat Lady's Paradise is coming soon!

OK...so I let the burner cool down and opened up the leads going to the motor...blk & white and put my multimeter on them and...no continuity...OL...this means an open winding? and motor is kaput? or is there a thermal switch? because there is a Big Red button on the back of the ignitor that says Reset...of course it didn't seem to move and when I pushed it and tested...nothing happened...gonna be bummed if the motor is shot...any thoughts??

I would be looking for a reset!
    Mine has one on the control box (it is easy to push)
    Take the burner tip out again and see if it is blocked, it may have biult up too much pressure (I would have thought that the pressure would have dropped over time though)

Was the motor hot to touch when it stopped?