Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Meuller build.

havent used a concrete mixer but have seen them being used and running Not sure they will make brick dust tho there more for churning concrete to mix it with sand and what not. I guess tumbling bricks inside would produce some dust but im thinking not much you could smash them with a 20 Lb sledge or weld a 2x2x1/2 square steel plate onto an air chisel bit that would work real nice once you sledge the larger chuncks down.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Here's my $.02 worth Richard. Get a cheap cement mixer, take the paddles out of it and throw in the biggest steel balls you can find. Then throw in your chunks of brick and let her fly. If that don't work I'll always think it should have. As a matter of fact I'm thinking of trying it myself.
    learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself

profanity is the futile attempt of a feeble mind to express its self forcibly

hobiejack

Quote Originally Posted by hobiejack View Post
    Here's my $.02 worth Richard. Get a cheap cement mixer, take the paddles out of it and throw in the biggest steel balls you can find. Then throw in your chunks of brick and let her fly. If that don't work I'll always think it should have. As a matter of fact I'm thinking of trying it myself.
    Hobie That actually could work. I wonder if it would be for sale as powder. I worked on some lifts at a brick and block making plant some time back. I as usual have to know how things are made so when I was done I walked around the plant with the forman not exactly sure what goes into a brick. ... Clay, sand ??? I did see powder being mixed then water added the materials packed into brick forms for the dry out. Maybe wisit a local plant see if there willing to sell you what you need hell who knows they may even give it to you always worth a shot. granulated powder would be very easy to turn into dust.

Joe

Administrator Site Admin
    Brick dust is readily available in the USA and Argentina, and other places where tennis and baseball are popular. It is used for baseball infields, and for clay tennis courts. Here in Mexico, it's soccer, soccer, soccer. Nothing else. Soccer fields are grass.

How about big rocks? A little stone dust wouldn't hurt the mix.

r
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Rasper I would say yes for nice hard rocks if you can find them craggy I think would be even better. Some nice hard stones would be good also pick those out of river beds there smooth but usualy very hard.

Joe

I actually have access to a cement mixer but It is big and cimbersome so I decided to make my own. You cannot just put balls in a. In a cement mixer, you have to put plows in to scrape the sand off the side of the barrel. I saw a you tube video of a Harbor freight cement mixer being used. It had plows and a roller

Blog Entries
    i think we may be talking about two different animals. For a muller there would have to be plows and rollers of some sort. HF has a small one that looks like it would be fairly easy to convert. The animal Rasper is looking at would actually be a ball mill which wouldn't need the plows. I don't know how easy it would be to cast balls large enough to be effective but if one could find large round river rocks I can't see any reason not to give it try. The more balls the better I always say. Any way to keep the balls from just riding round and round in the drum would be all that would be required
    learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself

profanity is the futile attempt of a feeble mind to express its self forcibly

hobiejack

Quote Originally Posted by hobiejack View Post
    i think we may be talking about two different animals. For a muller there would have to be plows and rollers of some sort. HF has a small one that looks like it would be fairly easy to convert. The animal Rasper is looking at would actually be a ball mill which wouldn't need the plows. I don't know how easy it would be to cast balls large enough to be effective but if one could find large round river rocks I can't see any reason not to give it try. The more balls the better I always say. Any way to keep the balls from just riding round and round in the drum would be all that would be required
    I tried my cement mixer with just balls and the material I was mulling just stuck to the side. Admittedly I was trying to mix clay for a bell mold so this may have been the reason for the sticking. I may not actually need the plows. My balls were 3" lead cannon balls which weighed 5 pounds. I made the mold from cast aluminum blocks and machined them on my lathe. It was a crude mold but it did work. When I get my muller running I will try mulling...or ball milling as the case may be...without plows and we will see if it works without plows. I saw the cement mixers you referred to and they were 150 and 200 dollars respectivly. A good price considering what you get but more than what I want to pay. I am really cheap....and besides it is a fun project.

My guess it with the plows you would need to turn slow enough that the balls or rocks drop out of them otherwise they would just be along for the ride. should work if you weld to the plows some small ramp like metal upside down V could help. I would also cut the plows down to say 1" high to alow the Balls or rocks to roll over them easier

Quote Originally Posted by epicdoom View Post
    My guess it with the plows you would need to turn slow enough that the balls or rocks drop out of them otherwise they would just be along for the ride. should work if you weld to the plows some small ramp like metal upside down V could help. I would also cut the plows down to say 1" high to alow the Balls or rocks to roll over them easier
    I got to thinking about it last night and given the speed this thing spins at I might be better off with just really thin plows rather than balls. I can imagine 5 pound balls either sticking to the sides by centrifugal force or pounding the crap out of my drum. I did come up with a simple speed reducer last night after I imagined the dents in the barrel caused by the balls jumping around or causing an out of balance condition. Would it be fair to say that "a vivid imagination is the mother of all invention".....or is it more properly "a vivid imagination is the shrew wife of all invention"!!!
    Last edited by evlwht-guy; 05-14-2012 at 09:18 PM.