Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meuller build.

Meuller build.

See below a photo of my new meuller. The biggest challenge to building a meuller is the reduction gear setup. You either need a gearbox or a million belts and pulleys. I came up with a way of avoiding much of this. I use a 55 gallon drum as a pulley. This slows the 1170 rpms of a 1/2 horse washing machine motor down to about 133 RPMs. It still remains to be seen if this will work but this is a heck of a lot simpler than any other setup I can think of. I will post more as I get more done. I think it rotates a bit fast but we will see how it works. If it doesnt, I have other strategies in mind.

That's using the old noggin!
    I have ulterior motives for my hidden agenda.

Blog Entries
    Yea, Mine goes too fast too...I used a gear box from a self propelled mower.

Dave D
    Build the Kwiky all fuel burner: new video: http://youtu.be/E-l21wQ6X-E
    See my projects: http://backyard-foundry.com
    Join the Lost Foam group on alloyavenue: http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/group.php?groupid=3

I see guys using router speed contollers in various application on this forum. Would that be effective for this?
    Great beginning!

Pete

router speed controllers are ony good for brushed type motors.

Way fast.
    The idea is an old one, there used to be a company that made cement mixers just like that.
    I think you need to reduce your speed to 60 rpm max and either use a longer deeper drum or tilt it back a lot otherwise your sand is going to be all over the floor.
    If you are going to fast stuff dosnt tumble in the drum.
    Are you useing blades or going for a ball mill style.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

You could setup a real simple countershaft under the drum there with two pulleys to step the motor speed down by half (or more) first, rather than driving the drum directly

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    You could setup a real simple countershaft under the drum there with two pulleys to step the motor speed down by half (or more) first, rather than driving the drum directly
    +1 for this method very simple There are AC motor speed controlers But Not at all cheap. A dimmer would control it but you have to buy one that is for motor control NOT light control you'll need to know how many Watts the motor if unknown then find how many amps the motor draws. Find the number of watts used by multiplying 120 by the number of amps if the watts are not listed. Buy a switch that is rated to handle an equal amount or more watts used by the motor. There may not be a dimmer rated but I suspect the net will provide a circuit that can be used in conjunction with a dimmer. I work on AC lift trucks so an AC controler is easy for me to get as is the motor. I'm working on a Muller using this type of set up I couls also use 4- 6volt deepcycle batteries and DC motor and controler will see what I end up getting first. the batteries wired to supply 24 volts to the controler and easily charged after mulling is complete would be a simple set up and self contained in a small cart batts controler and muller drum.

Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    ?.... your sand is going to be all over the floor.
    Donk
    . I am going to weld the lid on to it and cut a round hole in the middle. I was going with balls as I have 5 pound lead cannon balls and ploughs but given how fast it rotates I will try plows only at first.

rocket man...I am trying to make a simple muller that others can make with the least complication. I will try to get it to work with it in the simplest form. Yes, when I saw how fast it spun I came up with the same solution. I also have another idea too.

Administrator Site Admin
    You all keep on talking. I'm listening. I don't do sand casting but I do need brick dust for investment casting. I am thinking a simple muller—maybe an old concrete mixer— may be just the thing to pulverize bricks.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.