Page 2 of 468 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do in your foundry today?

Blog Entries
    Worked a bit to get started using my Daves EZ oil burner with my wimpy compressor (I still have hope I can get good atomization with low flow/hi pressure if I can tune the burner just so...)

Blog Entries
    worked on my snap flask pattern. Sorry no pics (not much to show yet...)

Poured too hot and wasted some time got some scrap broke down though!
    Knowing how to make something is far more valuable than knowing where to buy it...

Im working on a small pump for my hit and miss engine to run. Once I know how the innards are going to be then I will start working on the pattern for the core and outside.
    two pics of the engine

If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Administrator Site Admin
    Okay Gypsy, here you are.

The back side of the upper one is all gas holes. Ugly!

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

I cast the final pieces to the motor boat stands today but I usually don't do one item completely at a time but do an assembly line type of work. Last week we cast the bases to these stands followed by brass casting since the furnace was good and hot making brass melts go faster the starting with cold furnace first off. That way I get the prepping done then all the casting and then the machining and polishing to fill out my week's work.

Here this week's projects that were first prepped, then cast, followed with the machined and polished. Bob

These bases were cast last week to go with two other major pieces done today. A total of 10 vertical pieces, [shown] and 10 top pieces [just the two shown]

And the rest.

Original hood ornament on the right copy on the left.

Tomorrow I powder coat the 10 motor stands made up of the 3 pieces and then assemble the complete stand.
    Last edited by Bob S; 04-01-2012 at 03:15 AM.
    I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.

It's not a foundry yet but here are the beginnings, the bottom half of the furnace. 6- 2600*IFB make up the bottom half of the furnace. One inch 17# density fiber board on the bottom, 2full bricks next and 4 more bricks cut in half and beveled 22.5* ea. side for the 8 half brick circle. That gives me a 6" bore. All gaps will be filled with fiber blanket to snug all bricks in place no cement... Every thing gets coated with ITC 100. The top half of the furnace will be fiber blanket, rigididized and coated with ITC100. I was going to use sodium silicate, but have changed my mind in favor of kaowool rigidizer, silicon dioxide. No sodium, only the amorphous, colloidal silica that turns ceramic like at 1600*f... In the last pic are a few of the things I plan on casting, for both sand and investment....more later...

Fredo- I have a few thoughts if you are interested. That furnace is a very nice execution of that design-good job! One of mine is very similar. Insulating the gap between the bricks is probably not essential if it becomes too complex. You will loose very little heat given the close tolerances of your cuts. You could wrap the whole thing with wire or a big band clamp to hold it together. Also, if you wanted to increase the furnace bore now or in the future you can slice the bricks thinner. Even a 1" thick insulating firebrick provides excellent insulation. I put a layer of ceramic wool around the outside of my brick and it was a total waste of time and money. I think you will find that your furnace gets up to temps very quickly and better than the castable furnaces due to the low thermal mass of the IFB. Keep posting pics!

Bob S- I'm not even gonna comment on how nice your work looks! Thanks for all the pics.
    R
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Well I have worked out the Hot tear on the rocket ships, and whipped up two new plaques, I have two other plaques on my pattern bench, and cast a "custom"plaque, someone wanted, and was left out, luckily for him and me, I had not stripped the pattern for letters yet.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7966938&type=1
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...&type=1&ref=nf

In short, I'm really busy,

I've poured 4 days this week, at least 3 heats each day. looks like I get out of any more pouring till monday, rain all weekend

Beautiful work Bob! Nice furnace fredo, I'm still using a crappy Portland refractory and no insulation I wish I had more time on my hands. Today I bought another guitar string to fix my foam cutter. And I worked on my motorized bike, did a small piston mod and sealed a gas leak on the tank. I figured out why my furnance ran horribly last time. The aluminum pipe I used as a brute burner was extremely distorted because I used it as a liquid fuel propane burner with a plumbers torch. It normally doesn't put out enough heat to preheat, but if I have a full tank I can tip it on it's side and it sprays liquid propane. Line it up just right with the burner tube, and it preheats very fast. The tube gets very hot from burning inside the tube, so it melted a little. Tomorrow I will buy a piece of 1 1/4 inch pipe and fry the refractory again ; ). Also, big foam pour tomorrow hopefully. I'm going to make a few prototypes for RC car A-arms and some corner brackets to put up shelves in my workshop. Once I get good with the RC car parts I will sell them on eBay. Need a drill press to finish them. 4cf, thanks for reminding me to start pattern work for a snap flask. I'm really starting to like lost foam, I think I will do lost foam for them. Much easier than woodworking, as I have nothing beyond a circular saw to work with.
    "a dream without a plan is nothing but a fantasy"
    BYMC Google map
    i live in the chicago near west subs, hoping somebody else does too!