Page 482 of 482 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482
Results 4,811 to 4,820 of 4820

Thread: what did you do in your foundry today?

I made a couple more flasks today to cast these bottle openers. I need about 30 of them by mid September so with four flasks I should be able to get them done. Our riveted boat group is holding a meet in Tenneessee so I thought I'd take some swag to pass around. The rivetheads will be surprised.

Bones

Quote Originally Posted by FishbonzWVa View Post
    I made a couple more flasks today to cast these bottle openers. I need about 30 of them by mid September so with four flasks I should be able to get them done. Our riveted boat group is holding a meet in Tenneessee so I thought I'd take some swag to pass around. The rivetheads will be surprised.
    That is a super cool "Swag" item...especially given the moniker Rivetheads. Good luck with the casting. I might suggest you take that narrow section out of the middle...or place a small web top and bottom...otherwise it might break.

I was concerned about that and the thinness of the top. So I gave it a trial run with a bottle of Shiner Bock...worked great!
    Bones

Good to hear! What a great project!

How do you mold them? do you have a split pattern or do you "Cope Down" to a 1 piece pattern?

Recommend you clean the paint off the molding box alignment pins. I have had problems with that type of pin catching. they need to be clean and smooth to get a clean withdrawal.

Thanks Evl, we were hosted on Lake Norman for 6 years. Now it's the TVA lakes twice a year.

That's a foam follower, the parts are embedded to the parting line. I have about four different patterns that I use the followers with.
    Camera illusion, there's no paint.
    Bones

When i was a kid, we belonged to the Lake Norman Yacht club. Spent many summer weekends out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FishbonzWVa View Post
    Thanks Evl, we were hosted on Lake Norman for 6 years. Now it's the TVA lakes twice a year.

That's a foam follower, the parts are embedded to the parting line. I have about four different patterns that I use the followers with.
    Camera illusion, there's no paint.
    Pretty cool....never thought about using a foam follower.

Man, that is some illusion.....it looks exactly like paint! Even looks like there are speckles from a spray can.

Photos are funny....We are looking for a used car for my daughter. It is really hard to spot flaws in a photo of a car on Craigslist. The photo never looks as bad as the dents, cigarette burns etc. Even when you try to take pictures of damage...to send to the daughter that is going to pay for the car....they still look better than the actual car, even when you are trying to show flaws!

That could be overshoot on the pin, I'll have to clean it up if it is. I was rushing, looked like rain was coming.
    We've got family on Lake Wylie too, they have a big ass Donzi. Go out and hang around the sandbar by Tega Cay.
    Bones

My folks have a house on Lake Norman. Nice place. BIGGGG Lake.
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    My folks have a house on Lake Norman. Nice place. BIGGGG Lake.
    It sure is, we bought a waterproof map and used it. You know it's big when they have CG marking bouys just like the ICW on a lake!
    Bones