Page 470 of 484 FirstFirst ... 370420460468469470471472480 ... LastLast
Results 4,691 to 4,700 of 4835

Thread: what did you do in your foundry today?

Very close. Its 7". I figure I should be able to squeeze a #4 crucible in there.

It looks like a stars wars fighter. Is it going to be for forge use only or will you lay it right side up and melt stuff?

Yea it is like a tie fighter lol. It's almost squarish in dimensions so it wont gain any space by tilting so I'm going to put hinged light kaowool doors on the front and back, and have it more like a forge that is just tall enough to accept small crucibles. I have no idea if it will make a good forge though, I don't know much about that, I don't even have an anvil. Fun Fact: the kastolite 3000 walls are only 3/8" to 1/2" and are stronger than I thought. I would cast this thin again. Actually the forms are still good, I am probably going to have twins. What else to do with this bag of refractory?

I just worked on the flask for the steam engine, started on an adjustable angle plate/sine plate, and made 3 bar ingot molds. The 3 molds will make ingots on average 7 3/4 long x 1" tall x 2 3/4" wide, so that should be a decent chunk of metal and make it much easier to load the crucible up, and easier to stack rather than the cupcake molds. It also equals out to around 2lb ingots so I can just grab each one and know that I have 2 lbs when I measure out the patterns to measure out how much metal I need, I just grab the amount of ingots I would need.

Photo2024.jpg

I was wanting an adjustable angle plate for a while, and after seeing xalasis715's angle plate, I got some ideas for making mine, but I wanted much sturdier mounting than single mounting point, so going them like a standard sine plate for more support so I can mill stuff on it. I was needing one for a few project dealing with the drill press, and with the issue of needing to get the angle correct to drill the ports for the steam engine cylinder, it's a better time than none to make one, lol.

Another one. Thats a soup can for scale.

Mini2.jpg

Finished the Roberts casting flask project. http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...787#post199787

Had to put my stegosaurus project on hold to get a gift done for a wedding on April 1st. No joke. First time using MDF for the pattern. Been on it about a week and a half. Poured the silicon bronze tonight. Glad they both came out good so I have one to keep for myself.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Cool casting cactus. That's some serious runners.

Castings came out great. Very nice work on the pattern too. It's hard to tell much from the photos, did you use a router for that center groove? How were the dimples made?
    I'll be interested to see how it cleans up. Jobs like that take a lot of time. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Pete

Thanks both. The runners were getting really close to the edge of my flask so had to dig them deep. No router, Pete. That's 2 x 1/4" layers (actual .214") glued together. So cut the small pieces and pod shapes, glued it to the back then scroll sawed. Dimples were dremel carbide ball. Rest was all dremel bits and hand sanding. Really liked how the MDF took tooling. Though the tooled and sanded surface soaked up the first coat of paint like crazy. Besides the names, the shape is my take on the Burning Man logo as the couple are long time "Burners" and live close to the playa.