Page 468 of 485 FirstFirst ... 368418458466467468469470478 ... LastLast
Results 4,671 to 4,680 of 4842

Thread: what did you do in your foundry today?

20170220_134531.jpg
    Broke down and bought a c02 tank. Had been using a paint ball tank, but after todays trip to the paint ball supply store for a refill......they can KMA.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Bob your work is inspiring as ever. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
    I've been experimenting with my new furnace and burner, just getting accustomed to it. And also degassing with different methods and materials. I'll post to one of the many excellent existing threads pretty soon when I have something useful to share on the topic.
    I've also been working on several small projects utilizing everything from the radial arm saw to the furnace, lathe, mill and hand tools. Pretty gratifying stuff! I never did anything like this before I got involved here.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    I'll have to give my wife credit for the yard. The rule was, put whatever you want in the garage, but nothing goes outside, PERIOD. Now I'm glad for that rule.
    What about that buried oil tank

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if it counts but I pulled my old Thomas double vane vac/compressor I got from raginslab out from under the bench? Made me think of the site so I logged in posted in the D.W. and now tryin to catch up on 5 years of being gone lol.

Shhhh! Those are illegal and my wife doesn't know about it.

3d printed sand casting patterns, and hand carved lost wax rings

I did some sand casting with 3d printed patterns, using my mini cast aluminum flasks.

first one was a name plaque in aluminum and bronze.
    IMG_20161229_164402892.jpg

Second was some letter buttons for a friends wood turning project.
    IMG_20170121_160226048_HDR.jpgIMG_20170124_084928087.jpg

My most recent adventure in life and casting has been a pair of wedding rings for me and my now wife. These where my fist try at lost wax casting. I've done lost PLA before, but these needed to be better.

I bought proper carving/ injection wax and tools then carved some unique rings. Then vacuum invested the sprued carved rings in 1:2:0.7 plaster:sand:water.

IMG_20170209_141922788_HDR.jpgIMG_20170209_152146389.jpg

I slowly* burned out the wax over 2 hrs(tiny flask) in my aluminium furnace, then used the same propane burner to direct melt sterling silver in a stacked IFB furnace and dish crucible. After the metal was melted I retrieved the flask for pouring. But as I was positioning it, the investment slipped out of the smooth tube flask and fell a couple inches, but it appeared to be still intact, so I continued to reheat the silver and carefully pour. After a nerve racking wait, I broke free two perfectly acceptable rings. not bad considering.

After some cleanup they meet our initial vision.

IMG_20170213_105146466~3.jpg

I'm gonna give that flask a trashing with the dremel, to give it some grip for future investments

-Corey

Nice work Corey.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Administrator Site Admin
    Beautiful.

R
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Got my "Roberts Casting Flask" project finished.

managed to finish...I didn't make them hinged but they came out nice.

This project had a partially failed cast which I repaired, you can actually see the repair in the picture...details in my thread. http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...406#post199406

But I came up with an improvement. I realized during this process that the biggest problem with flasks is having different sized ones. I came up with two ideas to make adjustable flasks. 1 Will work with these...MORE TO COME FOR THIS THREAD.

Scored some free foam. This was about 1/3 of it but all I could fit in my SUV with the back seats down and 2 chunks in the passenger seat. Could tell it had been cut with a hot wire. This will last me a very long time. One person's trash . . .
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...016520171.html
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

I got a score like that a couple years ago. I was stopping at the refractory store to check some prices and their dumpster was full of foam pieces. I didn't get any refractory but I got as much foam as would fit in my Jeep. I also got an angry wife.