Page 474 of 478 FirstFirst ... 374424464472473474475476 ... LastLast
Results 4,731 to 4,740 of 4772

Thread: what did you do in your foundry today?

Because I burn coal, I have to have my furnace outside, so I set up and pour outside also. My molding bench is just inside the door.
    What is that squeaking noise?

Quote Originally Posted by schnelle View Post
    Anyone else rained out today? I always run my furnace and pour outside. Rain has been brutal in Kansas lately. I have a small furnace (lost&foundries' model A) does anyone melt and pour in their shop?

Your rain is hitting us tonight.
    As for running a furnace in or outdoors, I hope to put up a covered work space where I currently melt & pour. Open sides, metal roof.
    Just another project on the list, for now.
    ďItís the number one challenge of being a human being, if you want to be a great human being, you have to be present. Thatís the whole deal, thatís the entire deal, everything.Ē
    - Flea - Red Hot Chili Peppers

I'm strictly outside. My 20x30 barn is 80 years old and would go up like a matchstick. Not to mention the oil exhaust. I've thought of building some kind of open sided shelter to cover my furnace and pouring area but the high winds of late has really gotten my attention. Our whole region is still recovering from the last round. It would be another project and some $ I'm not ready to part with to do it right. I understand the frustration though!

Pete

despite a small rain here n there I managed to get one pour in today. Oversized baking pan I got from the re-use-it center is working nicely to set my flasks in when pouring and using it for the shake out too. 20170405_162045.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by J. Vibert View Post
    Didn't do anything related to a furnace and/or foundry. Been on business in Tennessee for the last week... However I think I finally saw some of this famous red clay that's in abundance in this neck of the woods. Mounds of it along the roadside... So very convenient. It must be nice...
    You wouldn't think it was so great if you got a ration o shit for tracking it in the house! Also not fun to garden in.

Made a replacement part for my casting flask....used some really neat tricks I learned from those you tube videos of the little African guys making pots in their mud huts. See http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...856#post200856

That baking pan idea is absolutely brilliant!

Still haven't gotten out into the foundry since last year....But I like to keep tabs on you rascals....
    "If you work with your hands, youíre a laborer.
    If you work with your hands and your mind, youíre a craftsman.
    If you work with your hands and your mind and your heart, youíre an artist."

Saint Francis of Assisi

Google Map of members:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...hs&usp=sharing

quick question- say i wanna do snap flasks to make multiple molds, how long after making a mold should it be used? Greensand question

Schnelle, I usually make the molds the night before, and pour the the next day, but Ive gone up to 3 days before pouring so they dont dry out. Usually for greensand, you just make the molds, then go out and pour them

As for my stuff, I cleaned up all of my scrap aluminum and turned it all into bar ingots, which stack on a shelf much much easier and cleaner looking than buckets of scraps and ingots everywhere, lol. I also got around half of the steam engine parts cast, except the ones that I was going to make from brass/bronze and the stuff that needed cores like the cylinder or the steam engine body. Mainly because I didnt want to mess with those right now, lol. One pile of ingots is A356, another is A413 (similar to engine pistons, higher silicon content), and the last one that has 2 ingots, I somehow had gotten some zinc contamination in it and I just tossed those ingots off to the side so that they didnt get mixed in with my other stuff again. I may remelt them later and add to a pot of zinc to it to make an alloy similar to zamak. Each ingot is around 4lbs of aluminum.

Photo2045.jpgPhoto2047.jpgPhoto2050.jpgPhoto2052.jpgPhoto2053.jpgPhoto2056.jpg

I recorded a little bit of it and put it on my youtube page, but didnt show the other 15+ pours of ingots, mainly because it was the same thing over and over again, and I just didnt feel like messing with the camera, lol. Being near that furnace for 9 hours, You tend to want to just be done rather than worrying about recording the stuff, lol.

Edit: Also, a side note, I finally figured out how to use signatures on here, so added my youtube page since I keep forgetting to add the link, lol.
    Last edited by cae2100; 04-13-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Cae,

Can you get a pic or two of the zinc contaminated ingots? Being new to the metal melting hobby I have no idea what to look for to know if I got some zinc tossed into the pot.

Thanks,
    CBB