Page 1 of 479 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you do in your foundry today?

what did you do in your foundry today?

There is an ongoing thread in another forum I use: what did you do with your motorbike today? It's fun to know what other people are doing. I will kick it off: today I rammed up some molds to find that I'm out of oil. And I got a nice fine mesh screen to refine my sand with, it is only sifted through a window screen at this point. Gotta dry it out first. And tomorrow I am going to try veggie oil for the first time, and pour those molds that are waiting for me.
    "a dream without a plan is nothing but a fantasy"
    BYMC Google map
    i live in the chicago near west subs, hoping somebody else does too!

I just opened my big mouth and told some friends I would make some handles for their printing press. Now I have orders of a dozen and it's only been one day. I'll have to make a matchplate and try to do at least 6 at a time. They are small cast Iron discs with a finger hole in the middle for on a drawer. These presses are from around 1900 and many of the drawers got lost or broken. I'll start a thread on it, because I'm going to need help with the pattern. Of coarse, for restoration, they want them to be authentic or I would make them out of Aluminum. I've got some other cast Iron projects to do also, so I'll add a couple flasks for these.

nothing yet but this photos was from yesterday, and like Jammer said I opened my mouth and said I can do that. so heres a peek at what try number four looked like, close but no cigar

That's a cool one dallen. You say you could carve the stock too?
    Knowing how to make something is far more valuable than knowing where to buy it...

Blog Entries
    I imagineered some more patterns for car parts, and continued to work out the recipe for my next batch of homeade crucibles...in short, I did nothing tangible, all the work is getting done in my head

poured the same part again but this time I think I got one that will work, I can see a little shrink in what was cast as the top but I think it will be ok, no I don't do wood unless beating with a green hickory branch with knots on it. wood work is for those with skills I don't have skills, will post a picture of todays pour later today

actually the stock for this receiver would be pretty easy to carve if I guy had the tools and a good piece of walnut, cherry might be easier to carve thou

heres todays pour picture, the shrink hole in that bob goes down in there about 2 inches and thats the bottom of a rocks glass that I used to mold the riser with, just wondering if the dried up whiskey might of had something to do with this one being almost a good one it may still machine out have to see how much I built the sides up.

Last edited by dallen; 03-27-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Today in my foundry I started construction of Forge v3.2 I would post pictures, but my camera seems to think it is Henri Matisse.

Anyways, it is being built in the 18" interior shell of an old electric water heater. It has a 3/4" hotface made from Versaflow 55 AR resulting in a 12" bore. The remaining space in the shell will be filled with kaowool.

The burner is a 100/200 psi fuel pump with a 1.25 Gph Delavan nozzle burning a WO/Diesel mix. Air is provided by a cheap hairdryer with the heating elements disabled.(for some reason, my wife wouldn't let me use hers).

In previous tests, using a steel bucket as the hotface, and sand as the only insulator, I was able to melt aluminum in about 8 min after start, and brass in about 15 min. As it was just a mockup, I haven't cast anything more useful than blobs of brass and aluminum. Hopefully after this cures I will have something more useful to show off

Sunday, 4 heats of aluminum
    Monday, 4 heats of aluminum
    Tuesday, worked in the pattern shop, two plaques and a split pattern

Administrator Site Admin
    I poured these:

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Very cool. What alloy and can we see the backs?
    Knowing how to make something is far more valuable than knowing where to buy it...