+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where to find propane regulators?

Another great place to buy a regulator is your local propane dealer.
    (I'm talking about the one who sell and deliver propane in bulk to houses and such) In my area there are several, Amerigas, Titan propane, Simmons propane..ect.
    Two years back I went to Amerigas with a sketch of what i wanted to do. Thier tech set me up with a regulator, gauge, hoses, and quickconnet fittings for around $60.00-$70.00

Another option is to try calling on your natural gas company, my gas company does carries some items for propane
    I stopped talking to myself, I got tired of all the dumb answers

Flow rate or gas pressure, I wouldnt have thought it would matter, you are mostly using a gage as a comparator.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

Ordinary pressure gauges are dirt cheap. Plumb it into your gas line with a Tee fitting. The same gauge you would use for air.

R
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

I'm using a regulator from a "turkey fryer" type burner. Bought it well over a decade ago. There's no gauges, but it works very well. I basically gauge by site and sound. If there's a visible flame burning at the exhaust, you have a reducing environment in your furnace, if not, then it's either neutral, or oxidizing. Then there's that fine line in between.

I'm using the (almost) textbook version of the reil burner in anons book. I machined out the 3/4" to 1/2 adapter that serves as the intake, and reduced the size of the cross members supporting the propane oriface. I've recently decided to add in a little extra forced air. Without it, it's creates a heavily reducing environment (A bit of serendipity, it seems to be highly beneficial to casting quality)

Conversion-3.jpgConversion-2.jpg
    Last edited by SolarFreak; 01-21-2012 at 12:37 AM.
    I seem to have accumulated so many things that I need, that I have no space left to use them in...
    Alloy Avenue Member Map

Quote Originally Posted by pookiebear43 View Post
    Another great place to buy a regulator is your local propane dealer.
    (I'm talking about the one who sell and deliver propane in bulk to houses and such) In my area there are several, Amerigas, Titan propane, Simmons propane..ect.
    Two years back I went to Amerigas with a sketch of what i wanted to do. Thier tech set me up with a regulator, gauge, hoses, and quickconnet fittings for around $60.00-$70.00

Another option is to try calling on your natural gas company, my gas company does carries some items for propane
    This is where i bought mine from. It was a regulator and a gauge, I believe I paid $50.

I'm still working on options for a gauge but I'm thinking I'll be ok without it while I get going. I put something together tonight. I'm using a regulator / hose combo from HF piped into a 3/8" gas ball valve from Lowes. From there its tubed into my SS. I was experimenting with it a little. I control power to my vacuum fan via a fan dimmer switch from Lowes. Even at the lowest position I was having to release quite a bit of gas to get it going. Also, it was hard to keep from putting out the flame when I slid the dimmer even a little. Any thoughts on this design or how I should improve it?

No offense, I think you're making it way more complicated than it needs to be. With a Reil, Upwind, or Mako, you won't need that blower at all. No need to adjust air flow with a naturally aspirated burner.

You could use that SS burner with some kerosene though.
    He was wise man who invented beer - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by weskinner View Post
    I'm still working on options for a gauge but I'm thinking I'll be ok without it while I get going. I put something together tonight. I'm using a regulator / hose combo from HF piped into a 3/8" gas ball valve from Lowes. From there its tubed into my SS. I was experimenting with it a little. I control power to my vacuum fan via a fan dimmer switch from Lowes. Even at the lowest position I was having to release quite a bit of gas to get it going. Also, it was hard to keep from putting out the flame when I slid the dimmer even a little. Any thoughts on this design or how I should improve it?

cover the inlet of your blower up with a piece of cardboard, once you turn it on leave a hole so it can still suck some air. If you have one of those BBQ regulators from the hardware store you need to swap it for an adjustable regulator with a pressure gauge, with regulator backed all the way out turn on the propane bottle, with flame in front of your burner outlet it should light. using the regulator and the cardboard adjust your burner for a clean flame, outside of a furnace you will probably need a flare of some type.

No offense, I think you're making it way more complicated than it needs to be
    I think you're right. I'm probably going to attempt a Mako later this week. I do have a question about it. In the burner detailed in this thread: http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...propane-burner. Where exactly does the the end of the mig tip sit in relation to the slits? It looks like it ends right about in the middle but I just wanted to make sure.

Just about the middle. Front edge of middle slit.
    Knowing how to make something is far more valuable than knowing where to buy it...

+ Reply to Thread