Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Patterns for a steam engine

Hi Doug, Ill look and see what I have later on today, headed out for bit right now.

Pistons are notoriously difficult to make, they are silicone alloy, tapered and oval. For my Steaming Leeming project I combined two pistons piggy back in order to get four compression rings as against two. Blocked off the oil drain back groove as they are counter productive in steam engines. The top is one piece AISI 316, a material that is able to work at superheated temps. This crown/bolt fits together leaving air cavities within the piston to retain heat that is normally lost to the oil in the sump in an attempt to increase efficiency.

Doug

Photo modified VW.A/C 77dia pistons
    Composite VW pistons.jpg

Do you weld the pistons? Look like an interesting idea.
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Hi nudge

The assembly comprises of 2 pistons - see sketch and assembly drawing. Inner piston B is slightly larger than A. Following machining B goes in the fridge, A in boiling water. Obviously they must be concentric. Mark to ensure alignment, press together. Check crown/bolt for fit. Check conrod eye for clearance to bolt end. If ok assemble. Job done. Precision is king.
    Doug

Sectional view.jpgPiston outline.jpg

Hi David

Cast bob weight and day-land

Thanks for that, I look forward to receiving drawings.
    Bottom end is progressing well, I have attached photos showing the standard VW crank. As I will be converting this to a 180deg twin two cranks throws are not used, so I have produced 2 cast/machined lead bob weights balanced to act as counter weights for redundant piston and rod combination. Hopefully within the next month the crankcase should be fully assembled.

Regards
    DougP8040042.jpgP8040041.jpg

Good morning everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm on research to build a full scale replica of a Locomobile or a Stanley Steamer, and at the moment I'm stock with the engine. So far I haven't been able to obtain enough information to work with. So I turned my expectations toward a Day-Land engine; so if anyone can direct me to get a copy or casted parts to start building one it would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards. JMV.

I'm curious- this engine was first made as a replacement for either Stanley or Locomobile engines, I have one in my collection and would like to fit it into a replica Locomobile. However this engine has no provision for the usual Locomobile style water pump does anybody know if a pattern exists for a pump?

I've sat this project on the back burner for a bit. Just dont have the free time i used to.
    I dont know if any patterns for the pump have been made, but should be a fairly easy job to come up with some.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor....