Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patterns for a steam engine

Patterns for a steam engine

Well I figured its about time I posted what im up to. I am working on some patterns for a day land steam engine. The engine is a double acting 2 cyl with a 2.5" bore and a 3.5" stroke. The engine was origonally built in the 60's as a replacement for the 2.5" x 3" locomobile engine. Somewhere in the UK are the origonal patterns for this engine, but I doubt id ever be able to obtain them so Ill just have to make my own.
    crossheadtrunk 001.jpg003.jpgDSCN1309.jpgDSCN1306.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nice pattern work. Please post photos of the moulds and castings too.

Quote Originally Posted by rotarysmp View Post
    Nice pattern work. Please post photos of the moulds and castings too.
    Thank you, its a learning experence thats for sure. Going to be a bit before I start casting (if I can resist the urge) still have alot of patterns to make.

That's lookin great. You make it look easy enough to try
    Knowing how to make something is far more valuable than knowing where to buy it...

Welcome David...I really appreciate when folks show their patterns and how they made them...it sends me off in a hundred ADHD directions...wheeeeee
    Living online at www.marksworx.com See My Furnace Videos NoW OnSiTe, Tons of Pix, fun stories of my builds, projects, weird ideas and more..Please Come See.
    And Visit the Page Sponsors if you please on your way to your next location!! Other exciting adventures: www.digitaldatatransfer.com Audio/Video Related Stuff, www.vetshistory.net A Tribute to Veterans
    and www.vintagealtecinfo.com I'm sort of an old ALTEC Audio fan!! The Crazy Cat Lady's Paradise is coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by foamfollower View Post
    Welcome David...I really appreciate when folks show their patterns and how they made them...it sends me off in a hundred ADHD directions...wheeeeee
    I know what you mean, Ive been working with a 40 watt bulb on so far but since ive seen what sandcrab has been doing im up to 65 watts now.

Ok finally getting some time to work on my pattern and I have run into a little bit of an iffy situation. The area between the core print and the upper flange is quite thin and im afraid that when I go to pull the pattern as well as fill it that it may break out. Im just a little nervous about this, but it is how the origonal part was done so it had to have worked, unless this simple pattern was not molded as i thought it was. See what you guys think...
    coreprintprob 001.jpg

Blog Entries
    How deep it it at the split? Doesnt look too bad...maybe a 1/4 inch? Add a degree or 2 more draft to both the flange and the print, and I think with decent sand, you will be fine.

It certainly does seem as though that section of the mold might be a bit too delicate for normal green sand, any chance the original part was cast using a hard bounded sand similar to what would have been used for the core? Anyways, how about cutting the core print back at an angle to provide a little extra relief and support for the sand.

David, those thin walls are a bugger, but with good sand they can be done. For a workaround, by extending the core print to the flange, you can eliminate the thin section and just have a slightly more complicated corebox and core. I could not tell from the photos, but if #3 is the section we are talking about the flange is thinner there and could be enough to add strength to the wall. There also appears to be machine work done on the body between the flange and cored opening.
    I second rotarysmp, nice patterns!
    Last edited by sandcrab; 01-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    If you think you can't do it, you're right!