Thread: Lift-Out Tongs for a Large Crucible

Lift-Out Tongs for a Large Crucible

Here are some more detailed photos of the tongs I made for a #30 Starrbide crucible.

I grab the large ring that pulls on the smaller chains with my all purpose foundry hook to open the jaws. It's made of stout stuff with multiple passes on the welds. This is where I really love 6011 welding rod.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Ok I can see how you did most if the metal work, the one thing that is eluding me in the photos is how does the latch on top work. 6011 isn't my most favorite choice for welding rod but each to his own. and it looks like you used 3/4" square bar for most of the frame.

That stuff is 5/8 square.

That latch is a piece of angle iron with a couple of notches cut in it that slip down over a 1/4 inch bolt, one for open and one for closed. The latch is the one thing that needs further refinement.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

yeah, I really like it.

Love how it has open and closed position as well as an adjustable stop so you don't crush the crucible!
    Knowing how to make something is far more valuable than knowing where to buy it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rasper View Post
    That stuff is 5/8 square.

That latch is a piece of angle iron with a couple of notches cut in it that slip down over a 1/4 inch bolt, one for open and one for closed. The latch is the one thing that needs further refinement.

Richard
    got it, thanks for the pictures I gotta get some stuff gathered up I get one welded up, I'll send you a picture

Blog Entries
    great looking tongs and I like you hoist. this looks like you are going to have a great set up.
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

Wow, that some heavy duty gear!
    Nice work, got a pic of it holding the crucible?
    .....And projects and ideas burst forth, obliviating anything else in their path.
    God did not design skulls with parting lines in mind.

Nice, I need to make some sort of latch for mine.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.