Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling Aluminum ingots

Selling Aluminum ingots

Hello fellow Foundry Folk,
    I'm wondering if anyone was interested in buying ingots or aluminum instrument mouth pieces if so i'd be glad to fire up the furnace and make some.
    Please reply if interested.
    P.S. aluminum ingots cost $1.10 per pound mouth pieces are $40

what is the chemistry of your ingots
    Real melters dont get burnt.......they just smoulder a bit

good question Ryan the ingots right now are in good condition but getting better I've been finding a small 1% to .5% trace of tin in some but most are 99% aluminum no slag or anything just nice ingots if your talking about which alloy# the scrap im melting i can tell you 1-they are compatible and don't grow weak being combined 2-most of it is alloy#'s 3003,3105,7608,7609 and 7604 this means 3003 the aluminum can sides, 3105 the top and bottom of aluminum cans, 7608-7604 are pipes,angle brackets and squared tubes. if you would feel comfortable I could make one with just 7608. if you have further questions please ask. I have a question for you the ones I've found tin in are smelted in a not so great crucible but ones without are smelted in a steel dog bowl but its really hard to heat so do you know of any good crucibles? I'm tempted to go by some cheap $2-10 stoneware and test it but I really dont know I'm only 9 months into the trade.Thanks
    P.S.
    my mom is from Australia and I've been there 3-4 times its awesome but I like being a redneck too much

I think you will struggle to sell metal here unless it is a good casting alloy, even then most people like to get their own ally from scrap.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

umm donkey that is from scrap read the post and yea those are the most pure sources to recover aluminum from

Yes I read your post, did you read mine!
    I think you will struggle to sell metal here unless it is a good casting alloy
    None of the sources of alluminium you quoted are casting alloys, they are all extruded and as such generally regarded as being poor for casting.

even then most people like to get their own ally from scrap.
    ie: most people like to get there alloys for little or no money.

Clean cast alloy is £800 per ton, that is 36 pence a pound for good casting alloy

Donk

Quote Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
    good question Ryan the ingots right now are in good condition but getting better I've been finding a small 1% to .5% trace of tin in some but most are 99% aluminum no slag or anything just nice ingots if your talking about which alloy# the scrap im melting i can tell you 1-they are compatible and don't grow weak being combined 2-most of it is alloy#'s 3003,3105,7608,7609 and 7604 this means 3003 the aluminum can sides, 3105 the top and bottom of aluminum cans, 7608-7604 are pipes,angle brackets and squared tubes. if you would feel comfortable I could make one with just 7608. if you have further questions please ask. I have a question for you the ones I've found tin in are smelted in a not so great crucible but ones without are smelted in a steel dog bowl but its really hard to heat so do you know of any good crucibles? I'm tempted to go by some cheap $2-10 stoneware and test it but I really dont know I'm only 9 months into the trade.Thanks
    P.S.
    my mom is from Australia and I've been there 3-4 times its awesome but I like being a redneck too much
    a steel crucible is okay for aluminium. they will perish after a while though. the outside of mine flake off every time i use them, but theyre cheap to make.
    iron will contaminate your aluminium however so i use a refractory wash on the inside from foudry suppliers foseco.
    other than that , you can use clay graphite cruibles or silicon carbide crucibles. silicon carbide being more durable is better but obviously you pay for what you get. both can be obtained from any reputable foundry supplier. foseco offer great products and great customer service. (no i dont work for them. ive just had many experiences with their products)
    Real melters dont get burnt.......they just smoulder a bit

Thanks Ryan for the input but believe it or not the old boonies arent farming or industrial anymore out here it went to a technology center and medical so i cant even find one person who knows what a furnace is let alone a supplier you cant even buy bulk bricks anymore its really upside down cause the industrial suppliers moved to New York thats just stupid they dont even know how to use a screw driver (Fact!) anyways my little rant on how America should be I really dont want to use super expensive stuff im switching over to oil power soon anyways so steel should be fine. o and Donkey 1- the name is stupid 2- it means ass 3- if you want good casting aluminum where does it magically come from because you said most people get it from scrap well thats basically all scrap aluminum cans,pipes,sheet,square tubes and siding take that and as inspector Clusose would say "i enjoy a good verbal joust"

1: A name is inanimate therefore it can be neither stupid nor intelligent.
    2: It dosn't mean ass, it has the same meaning as ass.
    3: If you want to argue about the metalurgy of casting alloys I strongly suggest you learn something about the subject first.
    I take it you mean Inspector Clouseau, learn to spell.

Donk

Blog Entries
    Hi, Michael welcome to the forum. When I saw your post, I thought exactly what Donkey said, selling aluminum here is a challenge, it may be even easier to sell ice to Eskimos. That said this is not a place for arguing, so calm down please.