Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snap Flasks

Snap Flasks

What do you guys use for hardware on your snap flasks? I tried using small hinges, but I had a problem with screw clearance. Is there purpose built snap flask hardware available? and if so, where can I find What's the best way to join the corners?

Here is what I have used http://youtu.be/xVQyLHQ3zWg.
    Its just a regular hinge with the pin removed and replaced with a longer one.

I finely finished my snap flask - 3yr in the makeing - and I could only fill it one time !
    I did open it after a cast and it worked good.
    I used butt hinges and laches off an old tool box. I did have to weld on some pieces so the shells would line up better.
    The fan downrod and 3/8s pipe are the alinement pins.

Heat them up, mold them out.

myfordboy, glad to see your here. Your videos have been invaluable to me. Thanks.

I was curious, what are you using for molding sand?

Quote Originally Posted by Qilmorr View Post

I was curious, what are you using for molding sand?
    Glad you like the videos. I get asked about the sand a lot! A friend of mine had a friend who worked in industry and had a sample sent to his workplace. I don't know what it is or where i can get more. Its a waterbonded sand and I belive it is a natural sand. Its looks very dark and dry in the videos, it was dark brown when new but has darkened with age. Its very good, I am carefull not pick up every grain I drop.

There's a very well known naturally bonded foundry sand in the U.K. called "Mansfield Red", it's a reddish brown sand when new, do you think that might be what you have?

I recently made a couple sizes snap flasks. I used regular hinges and homemade latches. Will get a picture tomorrow and post.
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Quote Originally Posted by HAVEHEATWILLCAST1 View Post
    I finely finished my snap flask - 3yr in the makeing - and I could only fill it one time !
    I did open it after a cast and it worked good.
    I used butt hinges and laches off an old tool box. I did have to weld on some pieces so the shells would line up better.
    The fan downrod and 3/8s pipe are the alinement pins.

Grady that is really awesome!

Murray
    5:55 is a state of mind

A pic of my snap flask all done up after a cast.
    I had to leave it on the sand because the cast was so big I did not want the walls to fall in.

I even made the hair-pins for the line up pins !
    Heat them up, mold them out.

Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    There's a very well known naturally bonded foundry sand in the U.K. called "Mansfield Red", it's a reddish brown sand when new, do you think that might be what you have?
    Hi rocco.
    Its not Mansfield red. I have some of this also, its coarser than my best stuff and much redder. I asked John Winter & co who supply foundry products to model engineers in the UK to watch one of my videos and comment on what the sand might be. They suggested the nearest would be their DM sand, The "M" could stand for Mansfield maybe.