Page 144 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1549

Thread: Burrell 4" Single Crank Compound Agricultural Engine.

Banned
    The ring method you are using seems to be quite popular in modeling circles, although I have also seen the compressed-turned arrangement also, and the stepped gap.

I like this method because it is quick and accurate.

I tried the compressed/turned rings, and it was tricky to keep everything concentric, and difficult to get the correct final gap.

But an internet search for clumpet ring turns up the photo below.

clupet-ring.jpg

Tea & crumpet rings anyone?

Really brilliant to make your own rings...I don't suppose the crumpet style is within the grasp of the average shop. I am trying to imagine how they are made.
    Jack of all trades, master of none, is often better than a master of one.

Banned
    The only way I can envision making a clumpet ring is to turn it as one piece and very carefully sheer it, but even that seems far fetched.

There are some discussions about making them online; I have not had time to read about how it is actually done.

Sorry to correct you guys, but the term is Clupet ring. Made me giggle mind. I wondered if they were made using wire EDM in some way. Any kerf might be sprung closed with heat in a similar fashion to springing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zadig View Post
    Sorry to correct you guys, but the term is Clupet ring.
    Wull...Pat said it first!

Thanks for the correction. No wonder Google didn't turn up much when I looked.

Yeah...EDM forgot about that method. Thanks. That would certainly do it. It would be interesting to see the machine that does that because it would probably need a rotary axis and to be economical (because they are really slow), a bunch of them ganged up at once.
    Jack of all trades, master of none, is often better than a master of one.

slitting saw?

I do like a nice bit of crumpet!

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Zadig View Post
    Sorry Sicivicdude, I was in a rush when I posted this morning, I should have made things more clear. Just in case you don't know, the rings have to be split and the easiest way to do this was to machine the rings to their finished diameters and then break them. To break them, they were held in the machine vice and given a gentle twist with the pliers, they snapped very easily. Once you have done this, the rings, for the main part remain closed and need to be open slightly so they will spring against the bore. To do this I needed to put a spacer in between the gap to force them open and heat them to a dull red so they would relax and keep their new shape. In order to allow for expansion there needs to be a small gap between the ends of the (now) split ring. This gap was done using a small diamond hone, the purple thing. Now they are split they will go onto the piston by opening them up slightly. Hope this makes sense.

I understand. I wasn't seeing the pliers doing the splitting but I guess that would be a feat to take a picture of, now wouldn't it? It makes perfect sense with the explanation.

Just purchased a new (to me) surface grinder. It'll take about a week to get here, so pictures to follow.

Blog Entries
    New tools make me giddy! Looking forward to the addition!

I'll be sorry to see my old one go, it's been a good workhorse, a little tired maybe, but accurate.