Page 1 of 153 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Burrell 4" Single Crank Compound Agricultural Engine.

Hybrid View

Burrell 4" Single Crank Compound Agricultural Engine.

Whilst this is not technically a casting or foundry thread, it does contain some attempts by me to make some patterns, and of course there is the machining of the castings I have had done and ones I have purchased. I am about six years into the build now, about 3/4 of the way through. My health is not as good as it could be so it has taken longer than I had originally anticipated but at least it is getting there.

I have taken a lot of pictures of the build, which has not always followed a particular order. I will attempt to create some kind of logical structure to the thread, but there might be the odd continuity error, so bear with me.

The best place to start is with the purchase of the boiler. We have in this country (UK) something called the 'Pressure Equipment Directive', which states the laws on how pressure vessels should be constructed; which means that even though at the time I was qualified to build and weld pressure vessels, it was easier to fork out and buy a ready made boiler, that's progress I suppose.

Last edited by Zadig; 08-03-2011 at 08:34 PM.

More please and looking forward to seeing the finished engine at Flukeburgh although I havent been for a few years.

Donk
    Needs must while the devil rides.

Hi Donk,

I went to the Flukebugh event this weekend just past, it was a lovely sunny day and everyone was in a great mood. Had a really good time.

I'll keep the pictures coming - a bit at a time, not six years though.

Looking at my diaries, it seems I have only been building this thing for five years, I must stop wishing my life away!

I had various plans when I started this build, but for one reason or another they have been altered or discarded. I say this because some of the jigs and fixtures that I made for certain operations are a little elaborate for a one off procedure, and had my plans not been in place the job could have been achieved far more easily. These jigs and fixtures have added considerably to time it has taken to get where I am.

The following set of pictures show some of the initial stages in constructing the hornplates. Hornplates for those of you not familiar with traction engine design are the extentions to the firebox sides that allow for the mounting of the crank bearings and ultimately the crankshaft. This is not their only function but probably the main one. On the full size original engine they would have been part and parcel of the firebox/boiler rivetted construction. Model traction engines have a workaround to the problem of attatching the hornplates to a welded boiler, and that is to machine them separately and bolt them to the boiler sides. Hopefully the following pictures will make this a little more clear.

This picture show two pieces of 1/4 plate being machined square and to size.

Because the original hornplates were an integral part of the rivetted boiler: to make them look as realistic as possible, a dummy rivet pattern is incorporated on the outside. To drill the holes I made a drill jig that would allow me to make more than one set of hornplates quickly. This was made from some 3/8 plate I had knocking around.

To Be Continued . . .

Thats cool, that is the type of boiler that I want to build for my next engine can you post plans for it?
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Quote Originally Posted by nudge View Post
    Thats cool, that is the type of boiler that I want to build for my next engine can you post plans for it?
    nudge,

PM with your email address.

Once the rivet pattern was drilled it was then time to bore all the holes for the crank bearings, rear axle, gear shafts etc. The centres between these hole were crucial as they allowed for the correct meshing of the gears. So with this in mind it made sense to bore through both plates at the same time, keeping the centre distances on both plates the same. One problem with this scenario was that the holes were different sizes in each plate. In order to be able to machine both holes at the same time and not get machining marks on the bottom plate, I sandwiched a thick piece of paper between the two. This allowed a small amount of clearance for the cutter to run into.

To Be Continued . . .
    Last edited by Zadig; 08-05-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Are the welded rounds all over just to make it stronger ?
    Heat them up, mold them out.

HEWC the square end of the boiler is known as a firebox. It is made up of two parts, an inner and outer wrapper. Water flows in-between which has the pressure of the steam on top of it. In order that the firebox doesn't rupture or deform, stays are welded between the two. The welds are the tops of the stays you can see, the same is done on the inside. There is some work in making a boiler. I hope all this makes sense.
    Last edited by Zadig; 08-09-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Last edited by Zadig; 08-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.