Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image Display for Slow Internet (and other control panel settings)

Blog Entries

Image Display for Slow Internet (and other control panel settings)

The new forum software has a couple features that I thought I'd bring to everybody's attention.

First of all, if you're on a slow (or data-capped) internet connection, you can turn off display of images. To get to this setting, go to the upper right corner of the forum page when you're logged in, and click on "Settings". Scroll down the menu bar on the left until you see "My Settings", then under that, "My Account" and under that "General Settings". Click on General Settings. You can also go there by clicking "Forum Actions">"General Settings" in the top menu bar of the forum page.

Then, scroll down to "Thread Display Options". You can turn off "Show Images" for images that people post, and you might also want to turn off avatars and signatures if you're really on a slow connection. Turning off the images will make them available as links, so you can still see them by loading them individually, but they won't all load at once and slow down page loading.

While you're there, look at the bottom of that section and you'll see "Default Thread Age Cut-Off". If you're wondering where all the older threads went, you can change this option to "Show all threads" to see everything. Or, if you're on a slower connection, limiting the number of threads it displays may speed up access somewhat.

For slower internet or older browsers, or if you just don't like running scripts, scroll all the way down to the bottom of that page to "Miscellaneous Options". Select "Basic Editor" and "Enhanced Attachment Uploading Off". This will give you an interface similar to the phpBB interface on the old forums instead of the slower advanced interfaces. If you aren't extremely limited, go ahead and turn these advanced options on if you want them.

Since users with slow internet can turn images off, and since large images no longer break the page on the new software, I suggest relaxing the previous image size and quantity restrictions. It's still not a good idea to go image-crazy and make a thread that's going to take forever for anybody to load, but I think we can at least increase the limit. I'd like to hear back from people with slower internet about this, especially because I've heard vBulletin can be resource-intensive in general. I'm hopeful that the suggestions I listed above will improve the experience dramatically for people with 56k or similar.

On that note, Lionel says that we have plenty of server space, so I'd encourage people to upload images as attachments. This prevents the "link rot" that often occurs with old links from photo hosting sites.
    Last edited by Anon; 06-12-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    The process of turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones can at times require the use of a large sledgehammer.

Foundry Tutorial
    My Website <<Now at prometheus-foundry.com

Anon,

When will we be able to use Avatars? I see in my settings the only radio button option is to turn them off.

David
    David

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure. I don't have access to the ACP yet, so I can't try to fix the problem. I know Lionel is still configuring stuff, so I'd say just wait a few days and I suspect he'll get around to it.
    The process of turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones can at times require the use of a large sledgehammer.

Foundry Tutorial

Blog Entries
    Have the picture limits been purposely set in the manage attachments screen, (97.7KB) or are those the V Bulletin program presets?
    It's nice to be able to post pics, directly to the forum!

Administrator Site Admin
    As far as I can tell the avatar option is available. You can upload your own. You can do so from the "Edit avatar" link on your profile page.

And Anon, you should have control panel access now.

Hi

I tried loading some pic's earlier and it said no more than 4 images for a post and when i added a smiley it was counting it has a image so 4 images no smiley or 3 images 1 smiley. I know there is going to be problems at beginning just letting you know that's all.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
    After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."

Blog Entries
    ACP access works, thanks.

I increased attachment size limits to 800x800px and 200KB for images, and 1MB for files. I also added the extension .xls for spreadsheets, the open document formats .odt and .ods (open source equivalent of .doc and .xls respectively), and Google SketchUp .skp. I can add other formats on request if necessary.

We'll see how those new limits work in terms of server space and such. I think attached images are automatically thumbnailed, so there shouldn't be a problem with slow page loading or images stretching the page (even if they do, vBulletin handles this much better than phpBB2 did). As such, I may increase the pixel width limits even more if people want it.

I don't know what's up with the smileys. (EDIT: Smileys work when posted, but the images don't display in the post composition window. And the imported smileys seem not to work at all. Plus, smileys count towards the post image limit, where they really shouldn't.)

Test:

Also, I couldn't find the setting in the ACP to increase the per-post attachment limit. The limit is definitely four images including smileys, and a maximum of five total attachments (images or not). The vBulletin manual says the option is in vBulletin Options -> Message Attachment Options under the ACP, but "vBulletin Options" isn't in the ACP for me. Lionel, could you shed some light on this when you get the chance? It's entirely possible I'm just not seeing something. I'll try again later.

I was thinking of setting the per-post limit to 25 attachments/5MB (5242880 bytes), which seems reasonable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Anon; 06-13-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Foundry Tutorial

Hi Anon and Lionel,

Here is a screen shot of what I was mentioning earlier. In my settings, I don't even have an option to upload an avatar, just a "Do not use an avatar" option. You can't un-select the radio button:

I tried reseting the fields and it doesn't change anything.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

David
    David

Blog Entries
    No, there should be a section for "Custom Avatar" just below that. It's working fine for me--the only thing I can suggest is to wait a while and try again. It may take a bit for changes to propagate for everybody.

Foundry Tutorial

Sounds good. No "custom avatar" choice in my edit avatar settings page yet.

Is anyone else having the same problem I am?
    David