Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Post Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer
    I have my photobucket set up so it uploads all my pictures in the forum size 640 X 480
    How do you do that? I have to go through each photo 1 by 1 and it sometimes doesn't work :lol:
    I did the same with photobucket.

Just when you go to the upload pictures screen click the Customize your upload options link below. You should then see some options. Choose 640x480 and click Save.

I think we should increase the size of images. 640x480 seems quite small now.

_3D_
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by _3D_
    I think we should increase the size of images. 640x480 seems quite small now.
    I don't know. I don't usually make the images into links unless they're closer to 800px wide, just to give people some leeway (plus I don't typically check the exact pixel size of every single image).

What do other people think? I know I like to keep my browser window about 1000px wide, so an image much over 800px stretches the screen.

I've been bugging Lio to upgrade to phpBB3; if he ever does, this will be less of an issue, as v3 doesn't break so badly when an image goes out of page bounds.
    The process of turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones can at times require the use of a large sledgehammer.

Foundry Tutorial
    My Website <<Now at prometheus-foundry.com

Blog Entries
    since my laptop screen broke, i'm on a really old CRT. 640x480 is just about right. it could probably go to 700 and not stretch.

but 640x480 is one of the main standard sizes. i would say keep it
    The Difficult Anytime, The Impossible By Appointment Only

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work."
    T.A. Edison

Actually v3 can be set up to automatically thumbnail images to whatever size you want to set it at, this is only for images that are uploaded to the BB rather than linked though.

I agree that the 640 width limit is kind of small, I have resized some images and pretty much lost what I wanted to show so either cropped or tossed and did not even post them.

The "lots of pictures" warning on a page should be sufficient to let those with slow connections know what is in there and honestly as far as speed goes and downloading images I can optimize and image and have it come out much smaller file size wise than a smaller image.

w3

Blog Entries
    If you have images that are small in file size but normal in dimensions (e.g. GIF or PNG diagrams with good compression), you can post as many as you like as long as the aggregate file size stays within the same bounds. 10 is just a convenient rule of thumb (much faster to check and easier to explain than file sizes), and it really only applies to JPEG pictures with modest compression.
    The process of turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones can at times require the use of a large sledgehammer.

Foundry Tutorial

Blog Entries
    I will update this sticky as soon as I get a chance.
    The Difficult Anytime, The Impossible By Appointment Only

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work."
    T.A. Edison

this is really a problem for me too, i can not post pictures too!

Hay Can a working excel spreadsheet be put into a post? if so how is it done

Blog Entries
    You can attach .xls files, and a smattering of others, by going to the advanced reply editor, then clicking the little paperclip that lets you attach stuff. You can also attach images as files that way. To inline an image or video, click the little picture frame or the little strip of film icon.

Alternatively, you can use tags for externally hosted images and video. I think you have to use the GUI for anything that's uploaded directly to the forum, and you currently have to externally host your video.

Other than video (let YouTube's servers handle the storage and bandwidth instead of ours), if there's a specific file type that's not currently uploadable (some types of CAD files, for example), I can add it to the list if necessary.

Examples:
    img demo.jpg
    In addition to being an example of a file hosted locally (I usually use my Photobucket instead), the red arrow points to the file upload icon, and the green and blue arrows are image and video. You have to be in the advanced editor window to see these.

Random video. You can also use video tags around the URL, which is what the GUI does for you (you'll see once you do one by clicking the icon).

I also attached an XLS file to the post. If you attach images this way (through the file uploader instead of the image uploader), they won't inline a thumbnail. There may be a way to do it, but I only know how to make thumbnails with the image uploader.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Foundry Tutorial

I'm trying to figure out how to type text explaining some pic's then attach pic's using the attachment manager, then explain a little more and attach more pic's.
    Can that be done or do I just post twice.

What happens when I use up my 20 meg in the manager?

Does the manager save file size for the site?
    Intrests; Firearms, long walks in the woods and poking dead things with a stick.