Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ball turning jig for my lathe (as always, heavy pics)

Ball turning jig for my lathe (as always, heavy pics)

I want a jig that will allow me to make a near perfect wooden ball on my lathe. It should range from 5 inches DIA down to near nothing.

Here it is on SketchUp.

The lighter color "S" curve in the background mounts to my carriage on the right. It has a pivot at the bolt on the left. This pivot supports the blueish "S" curve as it rotates around the ball. The cutter is in it's usual tool holder, then mounted via the white slab. The four bolts holding the cutter assembly will probably have a small plate near the heads. The atom looking part is just the possible ball that will be turned. The left side of the pic is my headstock that holds the blank wood.

My challenge was to get the "S" curves built in wood. I choses to turn a cylinder of the correct dimensions.

...then cut it up into 1/4 arcs

...to be glued onto the ends of plywood.

Then the whole assembly will be glued together. It's a pity that the arcs weren't cut accurately, but I'll fill in the gap with papertowel and wood glue.

8)

_3D_
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Cool idea 8) could you cut a small bit of ply to fill the gap, it would be alot stronger :idea:
    I also plan to make a ball turning attachment, a slightly different design but the same outcome
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

It only has to be stong enough to pack sand around it twice. I'm casting aluminum parts with it. Papertowel and wood glue is like poor man's fiberglass :twisted: .

Please show us your design!!!

Blog Entries
    If you want I can take a photo of the ball or radius cutter I have for my metal lathe. It is probably over kill for wood turning, but it works well.
    kent

Yes, please. I want to see other designs, even though this version won't benefit from thier ideas.

Here's the one I have for my lathe. It can't turn a large sphere but I don't have a call for any large ones so far. :wink: Bob

I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.

ccc

I've seen a different design on a video. Here it is.

_3D_
    I found that trying to find what I need and then make it work with what I have, is more trouble than designing what I want and doing it.
    me

"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."
    Sophocles

Blog Entries
    The tool I have is designed like Bob's, but was a set that has different sizes and tool holders for doing convex and concave surfaces. It came with the used lathe I bought years ago.

kent