A few days ago I went to light up the woodstove, but had trouble getting good draft in it. Come to find out the stovepipe elbow (which wasn't really stovepipe) had rusted through. So I ended up replacing the elbow and a few straight pieces with 24 ga. stovepipe. There was one 24" straight piece of the old pipe that was still in pretty good condition, so I decided to experiment using my propane furnace burner as the heat source into this pipe to see what kind of heat output I could get. I ran a hose from the bypass wastegate on the blower into the tube for extra airflow.
Here's a video of lighting it:
So this was nice and had good heat output, but the pipe ran quite hot due to the fact that there was not air circulation over it, which meant that I was losing some energy to radiant heat that could be transferred to the air. Also I needed to remove my furnace burner for this, which wasn't a big deal, but it would be nice to have a standalone model with it's own air source and burner.
... and so the project began ...