1 Brass T fitting with inside hole 10.5 diameter
    3 Brass nuts to fit T fitting
    3/8 bolt at least 100mm long
    1 Dome Nut to suit bolt
    1 O ring 10.5 o/d 8.5 internal
    8mm dia steel rod – 50mm long
    1 Brass elbow fitting to suit T fitting
    2 Hose barbs to suit 10mm hose minimum

Weld the Dome Nut to the end of one of the Brass nuts.

Cut the head off the bolt.
    Wind the bolt into the other end of the nut so it can be held in the lathe to enable a 1/8 hole to be drilled centrally through the dome nut. Now wind the nut off the bolt (leaving the bolt in the chuck) & continue drilling right through with a long series ( 1/8 ) drill bit.

While bolt is still in the lathe, enlarge the hole with a 5.3mm bit, to a depth of 15mm & tap with a 6 x 0.75 tap.
    Turn bolt around in the lathe
    Work out the position for the O ring so that it will sit midway between one end of the T fitting & the cross hole ( this will allow room to cut another O ring groove if needed). Cut groove to suit O ring. Cut a slot in the end of the bolt with the O ring on, to accept a screwdriver.

To make the Oil Tip

Take the 8mm rod, put in lathe & turn down a piece to 6mm dia & 10mm long. Now cut a 6 x 0.75 thread on it. Part off to a total length of 20mm.

Put the bolt back into the lathe with the 6mm thread pointing out and wind the embryo tip ( the thing you just made ) into it. Turn down the tip to about 2.7mm (must fit through the hole in the dome nut with a small gap) for a length of 7mm.
    Face it off & drill through with a 1.5mm bit.

Remove the bolt with the now completed tip from the lathe & with a small round file, file grooves ( I did 6) around the bolt in a spiraling fashion. The grooves are to let the air past, so they will need to be deeper than the thread on the bolt.

Grab the other 2 brass nuts & weld on either a hose barb or a short thread to accept a valve. One will be used for air & the other for oil.

Time to Assemble!

Put the O ring on the bolt.
    Fit the bolt into the T fitting
    Wind on the dome nut fitting onto the T fitting with Teflon tape then adjust the bolt so that the tip is flush with the end of the dome nut.
    Wind one of the nuts with hose barb to the opposite end of the T fitting ( this is the oil inlet).
    Wind the elbow fitting on to the remaining thread of the T fitting so that it points the same direction as the oil inlet.
    Then add the nut with hose barb to this. (this becomes the air inlet).

And now to use the thing……

Connect the oil to a tank on a stand at least 1.5m high with a valve close to the burner & the air line to a compressor with it set to 10 – 15 PSI. Put the burner nozzle into a piece of 50mm pipe 400mm long. You are now ready to run. :P

To light the burner, put a gas torch in from behind the burner.
    Turn the air on first and then slowly turn on the oil, keeping the gas torch in place until you have a sustainable flame out the other end of the pipe. Please do this outside, but not on the wife’s prized piece of lawn! :roll:

After the initial testing I added a valve to adjust the air (Red valve) and the oil (Silver valve) and fitted it in an elbow so extra air can be added without needing to turn up the pressure on the compressor.

To start up in the furnace, use a piece of rag dipped in Diesel. Light it and drop it into the furnace, now turn the air, (this will make the rag burn a lot better )Then slowly turn on the oil ,It should start burning with a Whoosh :twisted:

After a while adjust the air / oil and things will get hot.

If you cant get the oil to flow then add about 10% Diesel to the oil,
    I will be making a pressure tank for the oil so I can give it more fuel as needed and so I don't have to add any Diesel to the mix to get up to Iron temp. :twisted:
    If the spelins rong blam the wife!

How to build a Nudge burner (oil)

Nice nudge, did you ever put any kind of turbine in it to give some action to the blower air?

Also, if you want to save some rags drilling a 3/8 ths hole in the top of your tuyre close to the furnace shell will give you a place to touch it off with your torch for lighting.

w3

I have tried a turbo, but at the moment I can turn the oil on all the way and still make it burn lean, so I am now going to make a pressure tank for the oil and then give it another go.

excellent job nudge. that is the kind of how i did it that gets the information across.
    thanks for the effort you took to educate us. there is a lot of work in that post.
    If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.

Truth comes in two formats: enlightenment and collisions with reality.

Nice job nudge!! It`s remarkable what a man can do with a little time and ability. [keep it up] By the way if you cut slit in the end of your pipe and close it up by 1/4 , it will make a smother flame, and defenatly get a needle valve for your air flow !!!

Quote Originally Posted by nudge
    I have tried a turbo, but at the moment I can turn the oil on all the way and still make it burn lean, so I am now going to make a pressure tank for the oil and then give it another go.
    Connect the oil to a tank on a stand at least 1.5m high
    Just get a long hose for the oil and put it up higher. Water is .43 pounds per foot of head. That 1.5 meters (4.5 feet) is giving you somewhere around 2 pounds, getting it up to ten feet would more than double the pressure. In my experience much over 5 pounds of pressure on the oil tank isnt really needed and pushing 20 can make the oil adjustment valve downright dicey to work with. Didnt I see a carport in those other pictures somewhere?

w3

Didn't I see a carport in those other pictures somewhere?
    No... That's my man cave, the garage, the place that I like to spend as much time as possible. :lol: This is where the furnace lives when it is cold.

The oil tank that I am making will be a pressure tank that I can put on a stand and use as I have been doing, but will have the ability to add pressure if needed.

By the way if you cut slit in the end of your pipe and close it up by 1/4 , it will make a smother flame, and definitely get a needle valve for your air flow !!!
    I have a regulator close to where I work so I can adjust the air from 150psi all the way down to 1 if I need. This is the compressor I use.( I might use the small one beside the furnace for the oil tank, Cos I can.) I can also put on another 100L tank.

I put the burner in its hole ( I cant remember its name) as far as it will go an as seen in the pic the hole gets smaller, it goes from 2" where the pipe fits down to 1.75".

thanks for the effort you took to educate us. there is a lot of work in that post.
    It took a good couple of hours, :roll: I had to go and make a new tip so I could take the pics, because I didn't want to pull the burner apart. I made it with a smaller hole in it so when I get the oil under pressure it should mix better. :P

I can only say excellent work
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some good ideas...

Had a play with the burner last night.
    I lit it with a rag 100 x 100mm (4"x4") that had Diesel on it, I just light the rag and drop it in the furnace then turn on the air (from the compressor, 10 PSI free flow) then open the oil at this point it is gravity fed and away it goes.

Once the I've got it burning at the right height, just as the flame is coming out the vent hole, adding more oil and air from the blower ( there is on need to use more than 20 Psi from the compressor, it is just a waste and it makes more noise than the blower.) I then loaded it up as a direct melt with Alli scrap, 10 to 15 minutes later it was flowing out the poring spout as fast as I could change the ingot mold.
    Once I had melted the Alli I through in some brass / bronze to see if it could handle that, 10 minutes and that was poring out too. :twisted:
    From the time I started to the time I had it packed away was 3 hours (and my loving wife got me a coffee in the middle of doing it all) .
    All up the furnace was burning for 2 hours and I used about 3l. and when the fuel cost is $0 its going to cost a lot for fuel at this rate. :roll:

This is the pile of ingots

Nice 8)
    That is the first direct melt of brass / bronze I'd heard of.
    Heat them up, mold them out.