Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Improving your alloys

Quote Originally Posted by Islacrusez View Post
    Anyone know what manganese does to an aluminium alloy, and if it's possible to remove it (from the melt or from shreds of cast or scrap material)?
    In answer to this question, I've found this in the Foseco non-ferrous foundry manual:

Manganese
    Improves casting soundness at levels over 0.5%. Mn controls the intermetallic form of iron in the alloy, leading to improved ductility and shrinkage characteristics.

Sounds good, the alloy I'm aiming for will probably have that and Mg at around 1%, Si at around 10% (possibly as low as 5, but we'll see). Assuming it all works, of course.

Hi everyone,

I want to make my own Silicon Bronze alloy and I'm looking for a source where to buy elemental silicon, ideally in Canada but anywhere will be good as this seems hard to come-by.

Thanks!

mister, its easier and cheaper to just buy some silicon bronze tbh. I think if you look up luckygen I believe on youtube, he made some silicon bronze a while back and used ferrosilicon, but like I said, it's easier and cheaper to just buy the ingots of the silicon bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDruid View Post
    Hi everyone,

I want to make my own Silicon Bronze alloy and I'm looking for a source where to buy elemental silicon, ideally in Canada but anywhere will be good as this seems hard to come-by.

Thanks!
    Ebay.
    Maybe contact Quebec Silicon LP. They may not sell to you but it may be worth a try.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDruid View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!
    Why elemental silicon? Ferrosilicon is cheaper and easier to come by online and is what folks here use with great success. High purity electrolytic manganese metal chips are also easy to get from ebay. As for difficulty and cost, I find it pretty easy to alloy Si bronze (usually) and there's lots of good tips on it here. Price will depend on availability of sources. If you have to ship ingots vs finding #1 scrap Cu locally then DIY can be cheaper. Plus I found it fun, interesting and satisfying to alloy myself.
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Thanks everyone! I guess I just had the wrong wording for my search as I thought Elemental Silicon and Ferrosilicon was the same thing. The latter yielded much more results on Ebay. I will still try to find a local source but Ebay it will be if I can't. I'm just getting going but I already have a lot of fun melting metals for my art foundry projects. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Mister. Like any other hard to find item on eBay, I saved my "silicon metal" search an just kept an eye on it till something came up. One of our mods makes a lot of silicon bronze. Perhaps we'll hear from him.
    We're a very picture-driven lot here. Maybe you could start an introductory thread and show us your furnace rig and some of your work?

Pete