Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: abby's foundry [Lost wax casting]

Do you have a company name that makes molding and casting wax. I would go with the proffesional stuff if I could try out a small amount first. What I've seen is 50 lb blocks. Maybe I could get small amounts on E-bay. I did see 4 oz. blocks of Carnauba.
    Tapplastics has some good looking 2 part silicone for molds and some videos on U-tube on how to use it. Have you heard of the "Bombs Away" method to get bubbles out?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVvGc7VDFvc
    This video show a vacuum chamber and the "Bombs Away" method.

I can recommend Freemans Tuf-guy wax ,made in USA and here in the UK I can buy it by the kilo , I reckon if you contact freemans , have a look at their website and decide what you want ,

http://www.freemanwax.com/flakes.htm

you might get a free sample , I get samples of almost everything simply by asking , you will also find that you can hagle on price with many supply companies. I get silicone rubber by always asking for a sample first - even from Dow chemicals , as their minimum package is a kilo thats what you get, just act like you are Ford Motor Co or something like.
    There are many jewelry supply companies who supply wax in smaller quantities , just google and then shop around.
    The man who never made a mistake never made anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Abby
    Ford Motor Co or something like.
    Thats easy enough, i'll just start making crappy cars that break down after 100.000 miles :lol:

Thanks Abby, Sorry for the redundant question. You had mentioned Freeman Wax before, I should have looked back through the posts.

Abby what is your recipie for investment? I am looking for one I have plaster, silica flour, and sand just not sure what ratio to mix them with.

Thanks in advance.
    Acoop499

acoop I have no exact recipe , but a mix of 1 part of each should be a good starting point. You should also add sodium citrate - just a couple of crystals - to retard the setting time as it will go off very quick. Mixing well for at least 4 minutes , and the correct amount of water 40:100 is quite important. The plaster used should be of a good quality such as dental plaster , I have used a British Gypsum product called crystacal with fair results but find home made investments unreliable as they are prone to crack and won't then support the high vacuum assistance which is essential for the stuff I cast.

I've had really good luck with these people

http://www.arizonasculpture.com/prod...D=4&subcatID=9

I ordered 10lbs of their Microcrystalline Wax 2-AB150 its HARD stuff. I shoulda got the Microcrystalline Wax (optimus 3.0)

Good prices, and FAST shipping. Very nice customer support.

After looking through the Freeman wax site I've decided to order some of their molding compounds. I'm going to start with a sample kit but, I don't know which would be the best to try. I've been working on a small plaque made out of clay and I want to make a mold of it before I screw it up. Then I want to cast wax patterns.
    Any suggestions on which of their products to use? I'm leaning toward the V-340 Silicone Rubber.

Freeman Sample Kits

Hi jammer I use Dow-Corning silicone rubber but I doubt there is much difference between any brand other than price , and that is down to the retailer , not the manufacturer.
    If you go to Dow Chemicals web-site , sorry I haven't got a link to hand , there is a form to fill out to request a sample , free of course. I use type M which has a variable hardness depending on the curing agent used.
    I have found that prices are negotiable and retailers will go under the published price to secure a sale.
    Mixing well is important so as not to have uncured bits in your mould , as type M is white and the hardest curing agent is clear it is not easy to judge when mixing is sufficient , get some colour pigment from them as well. You only need a tiny amount and when the colour is even throughout you know it's well mixed.
    You should also vacuum de-gas after mixing.Use a container at least twice as large as your mix , or even bigger , and vacuum until the bubbles collapse.
    Mix and cure at room temperature , don't be tempted to cure at elevated temperatures if you are using a totally contained mould such as used for wax injection.
    Some auto body repair putties can poison certain silicone rubbers so be safe and paint your pattern .
    If casting rubber against cured rubber it will weld together, use a ptfe mould release , silicone release spray is useless. Failing ptfe, petroleum gelly (vaseline) dissolved in white spirit will work!

PTFE = polytetrafluoro- ethylene = TeflonŽ
    http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon_Indust...tfe/index.html

white spirits = Mineral Spirits = paint thinner
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_spirits

I had to look this up so i though i would save the people that are as ignorant as i am the trouble.

Abby: i am not being a smart ass. I respect what you write enough to look up all of the terms i don't understand. I decided to post my ignorance to help others at my level. The PTFE i should have probably got, but didn't. The white spirits (he shrugs). I will have to tell the story of the 2 inch hollow copper spheres sometime.
    If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.

Truth comes in two formats: enlightenment and collisions with reality.