Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw cylinder casting help,advice,input

Chainsaw cylinder casting help,advice,input

Hello, first post here spent the last few weeks absorbing as much info as I can.

Have a project I would like to attempt. Going to build the foundry required to make these cylinders.

20180116_105109.jpg

Pretty sure they are sand cast, or at least can be. Have removed plenty of sand from the aftermarket castings.

Just curious about how some of the more experienced people would go about it.

Think the first attempt will be a solid cylinder, just the outside profile/fins then I will machine the bore/ports.

If that works out well I will attempt the cores for the ports.

Unless casting a cored part has advantages over a solid part.

This is for a hybrid work saw. I pieced one together already, larger bore and machined spacers to make it all work.

Seen the sticky where the motorcycle cylinders were cast and that got me to thinking.

If I could cast my own, I could make it bolt on and get ideal port timings.

https://youtu.be/RJSri5kpJbw

This is the hybrid I put together.

This is an awesome site. Thank you

Joe

I can appreciate your enthusiasm and I won't even ask why, but building patterns and coreboxes for an engine is probably not how and where I would start my casting hobby. There are many here who can give suggestions and advice that may help you succeed, but I would get my feet wet with something simple. If you try something simple at first, it will be easier to sort out your problems and will give you a better chance of learning about controlling your furnace, sand quality, pouring temps, avoiding imperfections, shrinkage, etc. Frustration levels climb when tons of labor invested doesn't give some small success.
    What is that squeaking noise?

Definitely plan to start simple at first.

Plan on sizing the furnace/crucible for castings of this size.

Have about 8 books recommended throughout this site. And will have plenty of time to read/digest the information.

Just curious what approach others would take tackling a project like this.
    20180129_114151.jpg

Started to machine a block, but even a rough casting would save a ton of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Red97 View Post
    Just curious about how some of the more experienced people would go about it.
    How many copies of the cylinder would you intend to make?

Best,
    Kelly
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!

Probably 3-5 at first. Try some different port timings to get it dialed in.

Maybe cast in a iron sleeve.

Goal would be to market a low volume high performance big bore kit. Don't imagine more than 10 a year.

Wondering how well jusing the existing cylinder for a pattern would work out?

Add some filler where I want, polish the rest for a nice finish.

The aftermarket cylinder castings don't set the bar very high. No aftermarket support for this saw anyway. Altho it seems to have a pretty strong following.

That's probably one of the most difficult castings to make, certainly not a good first choice.

Mainly because of the fins?

Seems with a good pattern many attempts would be possible?

Is the cyl head cast with the cylinder, or is it separate? Im assuming a loop charged design?
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Yes the head is cast on. Blind cylinder, piston ported loop scavenged.