Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CAD Program for Pattern Making

I did find how to make a .jpg so here's an update of my wrench blank

Wrench Blank v2.jpg

And I made a Made in USA for the other side

Made in USA v1.jpg

It was rather tedious placing the letters in the arc. Anyone have an easy way to do that in Fusion360?

I appreciate the good comments.

My experience so far is that 3D apps don't do lettering very well. For anything complex, I typically use a simple vector-drawing app like inkscape (Corel Draw or Adobe Illustrator). You'll have much better control over the layout of 2D lettering there. Then you can export to a SVG file (industry-standard vector format) and import into CAD for extrude/lofting into 3D. FreeCAD can do this part if needed, then export STEP format to Fusion. It sounds more difficult than it is, though you'll have to weigh the extra complexity along with how critical and/or widely-used the result it will be.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, things that are useful are simple."
    - Mikhail Kalashnikov

+1 to what Razor Said.
    The one thing I have noticed is that Fusion can choke on lots of text in a large drawing. So do what you can minimize the SVG. another trick is to extrude the text to the proper thickness. Close Fusion and reopen. This dumps all the short line segments out of the computers memory and makes it run better. More of an issue on a slower PC with less memory.

CBB

I use inkscape for creating some texts then export as dxf and touch up in my cad program.
    Inkscape is opensource (free) and there is plenty of tutorials on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nkscape+to+cnc
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Thanks for the help, guys! I just received a new computer because my current primary one has started having a few issues, like the battery has a ten minute life and the on switch works one in a hundred times. It's been plugged in for several years to circumvent those issues but when a USB port went south I thought it was time. New computer is 2.1 ghz, 64 gig memory, and 1 tb SSHD so I'm feeling empowered. Now if I can just get used to Windows 10.

One of the good things about Fusion 360 is when your computer craps out it's not a problem! My son has switched to F360 even though he has a license for Solidworks. It is great that we can share projects.