Thread: Aluminum comuter case

Aluminum comuter case

So, my son and I are planning on building a new computer. He wants to build it from scratch instead of buying a computer to learn how everything works. Today he suggested we could cast the case from aluminum. I told him that it wouldn't be that easy. But it got me thinking. How hard would it be? Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on casting such thin pieces? By the way, I meant "Computer case". I'm not Elon Musk trying to find you a faster way to work.

Kyle

Unless it's a small form factor computer, I think you'll have a challenge trying to cast walls thin enough to not consume inordinate amounts of aluminum.

Agree with dtsh. I would consider fabricating out of sheet and maybe cast selected parts like the face.

Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

who says a computer case needs to be sheet?? Just keep in mind, you will likely have to cast it in thicker sections that can be joined (maybe)? A computer case doesn't have to look like a computer case does it?
    when your in the design stage just keep in mind you are going to casting it.. all will be well
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org

Making a computer case as you described would be challenging. Achieving the thinness you desire is doable depending on how thin is acceptable. My question is how big will the case be? The bigger the case, the larger flask, and all that greensand to fill it which gets pretty heavy.

Mods.jpg

So I have had a little experience in building custom computer cases (all three in the picture are computers...The R2D2 is radio controlled, life size and the computer ran on batteries. The ATM was an ATM.)

Yes this will work! you will not want to cast the case as one piece, and the sides/walls will be thicker than sheet, but you can make it look cool!! Think of it as Art work that houses a computer and not a case.

CBB

I was not actually planning on doing this, it was more a question of how difficult would it be.
    Unless it's a small form factor computer, I think you'll have a challenge trying to cast walls thin enough to not consume inordinate amounts of aluminum.
    The amount of alum used is not an issue, it's more about the "can I do it?" (Suddenly Bob the Builder pops in to my head singing "Yes you can!")
    I have a bunch of leftover 3mm styrofoam used for under floor panels. So, hypothetically, using these and pouring vertically I think would actually work. It would be a heavy and thick case, but usable. I am more comfortable working with wood, and was thinking a burl wood case would look awesome. After seeing your R2D2 case, which is frickin Amazing and Awesome!!, I might have to reconsider. My son is a huge R2D2 fan, so I have to make sure to not show him this, otherwise he will want it (way out of my abilities). But I agree, it should not be thought of as a case, but "a work of art". If I wanted a case, I would buy one. I want something original.

Cheers,
    Kyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBillyBob View Post
    Mods.jpg

So I have had a little experience in building custom computer cases (all three in the picture are computers...The R2D2 is radio controlled, life size and the computer ran on batteries. The ATM was an ATM.)

Yes this will work! you will not want to cast the case as one piece, and the sides/walls will be thicker than sheet, but you can make it look cool!! Think of it as Art work that houses a computer and not a case.

CBB
    That's awesome, nice work!
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/

3mm thick lost foam panels sound fairly challenging, but after seeing what kcoffield has been doing with lost foam casting, I could believe it is doable. Pour them hot! I look forward to following along if/when you try it. Good luck,

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos | TheHomeFoundry Forums