Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best material for a lost wax mold?

Best material for a lost wax mold?

Hey guys. Looking to do another lost wax casting. The first time I did this I used plaster for the mold, which turned out to be a very bad decision. I'm planning on casting aluminum. What's the best material to use for the mold and where can it be purchased?

Thanks in advance.
    Nick

Satincast by Kerrs is the best stuff for lost wax casting. Super fine detail. It's what jewellers and dentists use. Depends on the size of the piece it could be a pricey option though.

I'm trying to cast vintage action figures so not too big.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    Satincast by Kerrs is the best stuff for lost wax casting. Super fine detail. It's what jewellers and dentists use. Depends on the size of the piece it could be a pricey option though.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Any other materials that would maybe be a cheaper option for when I do larger projects?

Satincast will do the job nicely for those figures, It comes with a comprehensive users guide and will give you excellent results, you especially need to follow the burnout schedule that comes with the investment. I have seen orchid flowes cast in silver and the stamens are even cast, one we did even had a cast aphid. That was centrifugal casting.

Sorry no idea about cheaper options

Administrator Site Admin
    I cast bronze sculpture using one part plaster to two parts silica sand. (Brick dust works beautifully as well.)

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Thanks Rasper!

Blog Entries
    Richard can give you advise on the length of time and temperature for burning out. Several of us here use ceramic shell molds. a bit of research into the different mold materials will give you a better idea for your application. each have their strengths and weaknesses. For what I do ceramic shell works for me, for Richard his works for his situation and he gets good results, for some satincast is the best solution. you may need to think about the thickness of what you want to cast or casting it hollow, if you have a mix of thin and thick you may have some shrinkage problems. I know that several of us cast hollow waxes and with each material we have to think about how we support cores and I would imagine that we have differing methods for sprueing and venting. there is a lot of folks here with lots of good advice. good luck!
    kent
    Kent
    There is beauty, power and excitement in simple old technology!

Administrator Site Admin
    Richard can give you advise on the length of time and temperature for burning out.
    The mold in the photograph above was about 11 or 12 inches in diameter, and about 26 inches tall. I burned it out at 1100 F. for 72 hours.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Nick... Before you old school it like richard, check out my lost wax stuff using ceramic shell. It's not really that expensive (about 300bucks) will get you rolling with almost idiot proof results. Here is a short primer on a recent piece I did. Detailed and a bit boring instructions on this method found on my channel in a 3 part series. Plus you get to watch me get hammered on a nice cab. lmao
    Paul above said satincast... The stuff is amazing and perfect for small stuff as it can get a bit pricey. The alternative if you need to go larger is pop, brick dust, ludo, and some cat poop. People in 3rd world nations still use this method as it's been in use for a thousand years with good results. Any of these 3 options all have some drawbacks, it's up to what you have for support equipment. A crane to move around 100lb blocks is not something I own.

WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --