Thread: Mark's Muller

Blog Entries

Mark's Muller

Hi Guys,

I have been collecting the parts for a Muller for a couple of years. This will be a rotating arm, fixed drum Muller, based on the a small hot water cylinder. The shell of this hot water cylinder has already been recycled into the shell of my furnace.
    http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showth...lcium+silicate

The floor of the muller, and the lower flange are 10mm mild steel plate which I had lasered. Unfortunately I didn't think to have the drop door, cut out lasered into that plate. The diameter of the muller will be 40cm. If you have a chance to get parts lasered, it sure makes construction a lot easily. The parts are accurate to a 1/10mm. Any holes needed get specified nominal, or thread ID and bolts always fit, and threads can be tapped directly.

I picked up two thick walled tubes for the drops shelf of the local metal supermarket. The flange and base plate were lasered to fit , and I turned bearing seats for 6005-2RS bearings in the ends. There is a larger one which fits over it and will carry the rollers and plows.

I've been watching for a cheap local geared motor. Nothing perfect has turned up, but there is a 3/4kW 45RPM motor quite close for €85 which I'll go and look at.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rotarysmp; 01-15-2018 at 07:36 AM.

Hi Mark,
    Good start. I'm at a similar point about now with mine. Since you have omitted to include a dump door what will you do? I'm not sure whether I need one or not. Tossing up if maybe just shovel/scoop the sand out will be good enough.
    I'm using a winch gearbox for RPM reduction but am yet to decide how big a motor I should get to drive it. Is that 30 RPM motor geared down? Or speed reduced? Might be a DC motor?

Cheers Phil
    So, whats your Plan B?

good stuff... New muller builds might get me moving again on mine. I'm stuck in a continual loop of redesigning my power transmission from gearbox to arm.

These things shouldn't be so difficult...lol
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi Phil, I am still going to put in a sand dump door. I'll just have to cut the base plate.

The motor I have my eye on is an industrial three phase motor with reduction gearbox. I originally planned to flange a geared motor directly onto the bottom, but reading through the older muller threads made me rethink that, to ensure I can have a shear link in the high torque side of the drive train for safety. So it might be easiest to put a short chain drive between the gearbox output shaft and the muller input shaft with the input shaft cog secured by the shear pin.

Hi Jeff I really like your thread. Hope you can settle on a drive train and post the pictures of finishing it.
    Mark
    Last edited by rotarysmp; 01-14-2018 at 12:48 PM.

I am wanting to build a muller also. I can have my engineering class design some and draw on inventor and my machining classes build it. I just need the project design so I can get the students started. I like the hot water tank since there are many scrap ones around in the dumpsters. My furnace used one for its fabrication.