Thread: how high can i run my furnace burner? Am i limited at all.

how high can i run my furnace burner? Am i limited at all.

Hey guys i melt a heap of copper and brass and am currently using a DFC GAS BURNER (POWER:180,000 BTU = 54 KW/h output on 25 PSI = 1,70 ATM)
    I run it at around 20 PSI and it takes a good hour to melt brass and longer obviously for copper .My question is am i limited to how high i can run this burner or
    could i actually run this at 30-40 PSI? i have read that furnaces with a simular burner can melt brass in as low as 15 mins (but it doesnt say how high there running the burner at) .
    Also if i was to run at 30-40 PSI apart from using gas twice as fast is there anything i really need to worry about or is there just a chance ill waste gas if i cant get the right gas/air ratio?
    Any help would be appreciated as if i could halve the time it takes to melt i could be doing other projects . I have a Youtube channel the links below if anyones interested? (not the greatest channel but not the worst).
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfN..._as=subscriber

Did you decide to melt all your stuff down? To melt metal faster, don't empty your crucible when you pour some out. Leave some molten metal in it. From watching your videos, you need a bigger crucible anyways. Your furnace is huge compared to your crucible. While it's true oil burners need more breathing space, propane setups only need enough space around the crucible for the tools. This is why you always buy the crucibles first and size the furnace to it. Any wasted space is wasted energy, fuel and time. A little extra in the right areas is nice, too much and you have what's called a practice girl.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

The amount of heat is limited by fuel, air and insulation of you furnace. Then you have to think about if your refractory and crucible can take the heat. The volume of metal dictates the amount of heat (or BTU's) needed. If your taking an hour to melt 10 pounds (4 kilos +/-) then you are not very efficient now. I melt 10 pound in about 20 minutes and pour at 30. That's with 6 pounds pressure propane and a small blower. I did melt 4 pounds of cast iron with the same burner and 10 psi of propane using a larger blower. It took a while to melt but I didn't time it, probably close to an hour. My furnace lining and crucible both showed glazing and probably close to melting.

im just melting down all my scrap brass and copper into ingots for now to remove as much impuritys as i can for future melting and casting. i know its probably wasting time and gas but its a hobby and its not costing much anyway. i might have to make myself a smaller furnace as i like the ease of 2.5-3kg pours. I dont have the means to make lifting pouring handles atm and there way to expensive to buy.

I agree, lifting tools are STUPID MONEY.. But after you make a nice set, you then realize you wouldn't sell yours for what new ones cost. You may not own a welder and that's okay. But you can actually bolt some proper tools together without too much expense. Wise man once said.. TIME, Money and quality. PICK TWO! There are some great ideas on this page. http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/ind...ble-tongs.175/ I know I wouldn't want to own the company making these tools, the liability is off the charts!

Here's a thought about your furnace.... Make an insert of refractory that will shrink the overall size of the interior. Kinda like what many guys lately are doing. They are thin shells, that dont need much refractory cement and they are light weight. Hardest part is reworking your burner setup. You'll gain tons of efficiency and speed of melt. See the fordboy setup for a visual.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --