Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sodium silicate sand ?

Here is my setup for winnowing, you can do 50 lbs in 5 minutes.

I divided it in thirds, top portion is very fine, middle is fine ,and bottom is lost foam sand.

I use a Harbor Freight small mixer with the baffles removed and a rock for an improvised muller.

Bones

Quote Originally Posted by kcoffield View Post
    Winnowing is just sprinkling sand from a cup in front of a fan and letting it blow forward onto a tarp. The fines travel further. It's free for you and probably less total time invested. Bentonite clay is the common greensand binder. There are different types but blends are the finer points. Search the forum for formulas and conditioning methods.

If you just want to write a check, search Petrobond on eBay. You can buy it delivered for a $1.50/lb. Petrobond will do better with a proper muller but you can stomp and stir it under your feet between layers of a tarp. It should be lively at Tucson temps. If you mix green sand you can get buy with a drywall paddle, a powerful 1/2" drill and 5 gallon bucket. Even if you can write a check this hobby still takes effort and you'll have to expend some to get useable molding sand. It's not rocket science but does take some experimentation.

Good luck,
    Kelly
    Hi thanks for the feedback i will try using the fan method. The drywall paddle would save me tons of time! think i can get one off of amazon going to check home depot too ( going there to start building my siphon nozzle type oil burner ) i tried using a mixture of concrete and oil i heard of ( didn't work out to well kept falling out of the flask) i have about 60lb of professional foundry sand voclay binder. In Tucson at least during the summer green sand dries so quick sometimes i have to remix because i didn't pour in time :/ Does any one have any opinions on lost pla casting i have a nice cr10 printer on my desk. - thanks Tyler P.S the reason i don't have transportation is i am under 16

We've had some pretty successful young casters here. Menth and Bill Toomey come to mind. Look up some of their threads for encouragement. Bill is a long time member here and has done some exceptional work as has Menth.
    Check out the threads in the burner forum for siphon/Hago/Delevan builds and write a bill of materials before you go to Home Depot so you don't end up in the plumbing section for two hours guessing at fittings. Ebay and McMastercarr.com are a great resource as well. The nozzle and adapter you need for a Delevan are on ebay for about 50 bucks. You won't find those at a big box. Make sure it's a siphon nozzle.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delavan-bra...UAAOSwVFlUCKFb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELAVAN-306...EAAOSwnDZUCHQf

I just got a 3D printer for Christmas so I'll be exploring lost PLA too and other pattern options as well. DavidF is our resident guru. Look him up, I'll see you there!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Petee716 View Post
    We've had some pretty successful young casters here. Menth and Bill Toomey come to mind. Look up some of their threads for encouragement. Bill is a long time member here and has done some exceptional work as has Menth.
    Check out the threads in the burner forum for siphon/Hago/Delevan builds and write a bill of materials before you go to Home Depot so you don't end up in the plumbing section for two hours guessing at fittings. Ebay and McMastercarr.com are a great resource as well. The nozzle and adapter you need for a Delevan are on ebay for about 50 bucks. You won't find those at a big box. Make sure it's a siphon nozzle.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Delavan-bra...UAAOSwVFlUCKFb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELAVAN-306...EAAOSwnDZUCHQf

I just got a 3D printer for Christmas so I'll be exploring lost PLA too and other pattern options as well. DavidF is our resident guru. Look him up, I'll see you there!

Pete
    Hi Pete yea I am a young person looking to get into casting, built my burner last night in home depot (don't want to make more than one trip) I do still need a burner pipe and weld a Y i saw this turbuator thing going around. Kinda replicating this guys design https://youtu.be/wLevtiJzslw i may have access to a metal lathe soon (a nice one !) guy offered to let me come over and use his shop. He builds old cars soo he has every thing i could need (except a Muller) i am open to building a Muller would love to see some simple designs, gear reduction is the only thing i would struggle with dont understand it. tell me how lost pla goes for you i am thinking of doing a project soon will update you on how it goes.