Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sodium silicate sand ?

Sodium silicate sand ?

Hi I am some what new to casting i run a waste oil forge that does its job well ( melts aluminum doing some upgrades) I have herd about this sodium silicate sand that hardens with co2 i have watched Mp dragon (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChe...YFYMfUrLLZ6U8A) use this instead of mixing 90-120 LBS of green sand by hand.( Rip back) i was wondering if i could mix pool filter sand with sodium silicate (looking to get some no idea what i should get) would this leave the same results as the ones seen in his videos ? I have no been able to find normal silica sand so... i was wondering if this cheap pool sand would do the trick. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm surprised you can't seem to locate silica sand. I can get it from my local big box/home improvement stores as sandblasting sand. I do believe that filter sand is the same thing, but possible a finer mesh, so smaller grains. If it's a good locally available supply, then you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Roger

The downside is, although your.back will thank you, you're most likely looking at chucking all the SS sand out after you pour one mold, whereas with greensand it is reusable again and again...

There are some fun diy make your own sodium silicate videos where guys are making the stuff out of crystal kitty litter and drain cleaner, it doesn't look too hard to do.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos | TheHomeFoundry Forums

This forum has members from all over, if you told us approximately where you are located then perhaps there's a member close to you that could tell you where they source their materials.

You won't be happy with the finish from pool sand. It's around 20 mesh and you'll want at least a 60 mesh. Play sand is a finer mesh overall but you need to screen the larger grit out for consistency. Winnowing in front of a fan does a good job of separating the grits.
    Bones

Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    This forum has members from all over, if you told us approximately where you are located then perhaps there's a member close to you that could tell you where they source their materials.
    Tucson AZ around oro valley area yea cant seem to find anything the right size i am willing to sift it i have a lot of time on my hands right now Thanks-Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by tyguy13455 View Post
    Tucson AZ around oro valley area yea cant seem to find anything the right size i am willing to sift it i have a lot of time on my hands right now Thanks-Tyler
    You live in Tucson and can't find sand?

Grab some desert sand and winnow it with a fan over a tarp like Bonz suggested. The fines will be the farthest from the fan.

Best,
    Kelly
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!

Oh boy, free sand. Now go to your local Feed And Seed store and get a 50 lb bag of food grade Bentonite, $12 -$15. It's used as a cattle feed supplement. You'll have enough clay for 500 lb's of sand.
    Bones

Quote Originally Posted by kcoffield View Post
    You live in Tucson and can't find sand?

Grab some desert sand and winnow it with a fan over a tarp like Bonz suggested. The fines will be the farthest from the fan.

Best,
    Kelly
    I had no idea that getting sand that way was a option when trying to make sodium silicate bonded sand. I have no clue how to go about winnowing the sand I would rather not as I have no means of far range transportation and live on a neighbor hood. I could sift the sand out of washes , I would much rather buying it even if it's pricey I am not to sure about this type of sand. If anyone has any faster methods to mixing greensand or a simple Muller idea then I would much rather sticking with green sand.
    Any quick ways to mix green sand is a solution. Or a nice way to get a lot of fine silica sand frequently.

Winnowing is just sprinkling sand from a cup in front of a fan and letting it blow forward onto a tarp. The fines travel further. It's free for you and probably less total time invested. Bentonite clay is the common greensand binder. There are different types but blends are the finer points. Search the forum for formulas and conditioning methods.

If you just want to write a check, search Petrobond on eBay. You can buy it delivered for a $1.50/lb. Petrobond will do better with a proper muller but you can stomp and stir it under your feet between layers of a tarp. It should be lively at Tucson temps. If you mix green sand you can get buy with a drywall paddle, a powerful 1/2" drill and 5 gallon bucket. Even if you can write a check this hobby still takes effort and you'll have to expend some to get useable molding sand. It's not rocket science but does take some experimentation.

Good luck,
    Kelly
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!