Thread: Air compressor back to life

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Air compressor back to life

A friend of mine has been given a more than 30 years air compressor. It's a 50l (15gal) one, you can find similar ones new for 150€, maybe less if you're lucky. I didn't trust the tank so we decided to replace it by a 25lb butane bottle. It was more trouble than I anticipated, had to machine some fittings, to troubleshoot some minors electrical issues (worn capacitor), a few leaks, a little paint job , and in the end, after some tweaking it worked out.

It looks like crap but works like a charm (more like a air hammer to be fair). It's up to him to work on the cosmetic now as I've spent too much more hours on this job. I don't regret it though, it makes sense not to get rid of things you can fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/

Administrator Site Admin
    How is your compressor doing? The one you made years ago from an old refrigeration compressor.

Richard
    When I die, Heaven can wait—I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

Blog Entries
    It's doing very well and unlike this one it doesn't make a hell of a noise. I've added a second unit to beef it up and modified one or two things but contrary to what some said, these units are very reliable. I use it every 2 or 3 days to spray or to pin nails and it works every time.
    I've scavenged a big AC unit and plan to build another one, bigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    http://fournaisedupiton.blogspot.com/