Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YES! It's Dec. 21st.

YES! It's Dec. 21st.

That day when the northern hemisphere will start tipping back toward the sun. The days will slowly get longer, the average daily temp will start to increase, and before long, we'll see the first Robins of spring, and the new growing season will be upon us.
    The days of me feeling cold all the time will be gone, and I'll no longer have to fight the prehistoric, caveman-like urge to crawl into a hole and hibernate until spring arrives.

Roger

Ever wonder why the Christians chose Dec 25 (they were only a few days off) as one of their most sacred holidays and the other near the beginning of spring? Oh yeah, Hanukkah and Passover also. I think the Druids had it figured out with their solstice celebrations. (Fertility celebration anyone?)
    I suffer from sunlight deprivation syndrome and must guard against getting depressed at this time of year. If it gets too bad, I go lay in a tanning bed a couple times a week for a few weeks, amazing how much difference it makes.
    What is that squeaking noise?

Steve, eat salmon and tuna for a zap of vitamin D. Same effect. and better for you skin. So what's it like living in wisconsin looking like you just stepped off the French Riviera in the middle of winter? lol
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

The days may techincally get longer, but the temps will only get lower in my neck of the woods.

Jan thru Feb, is the coldest stretch around here.

On a more interesting note..: Today is the 5th year anniversary of the end of the world. Who would have thought...
    FLAME ON...!!!!

Well, J.V., in my defense, I didn't say when the temps would start going up.

I had forgotten about the end of the world thing. We all must be living in purgatory. (tongue-in-cheek)

Roger

Thank God the days will be longer.

The cold weather is a different problem related to the jet stream in a winter pattern bringing down Canadian air. Clearly what we need is a very large border wall on the northern border!

Robert
    "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Forklift Project
    Sand Mixer

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Steve, eat salmon and tuna for a zap of vitamin D. Same effect. and better for you skin. So what's it like living in wisconsin looking like you just stepped off the French Riviera in the middle of winter? lol
    Jag, I don't let the suntan get to an extreme, but if someone asks, I just say "Cancun is great this time of year." I'm not really lying, am I?
    I also suffer from psoriasis, so extra Vitamin D is an everyday thing in my life.
    What is that squeaking noise?

When I lived in Germany... tanning places was really popular with the girls then. Funny how they looked orange when out at the clubs in the middle of winter..... good times.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

The days are already longer here in Australia, and its BLOODY HOT ;-)
    Im going off to go find myself. If Im not back by the time I return, keep me here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Thank God the days will be longer.

The cold weather is a different problem related to the jet stream in a winter pattern bringing down Canadian air. Clearly what we need is a very large border wall on the northern border!

Robert
    Just a snow fence would do. No need to appear unfriendly to the nicest folks on the continent. Lol. Although spanning the lakes would present some problems.

I'm not even sure what "regular time" is vs daylight savings time, but moving the clock back an hour every autumn feels like a dismal pall laid over the landscape. The later months of fall and early winter are only a lead-in to the real crap. January, February, and March are the months where the screws really crank down. The older I get the less tolerable it becomes. Someday maybe I'll join Rasper.

Pete