Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sand binders

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    pepset
    Just an FYI. Pepset is nasty stuff. It makes a mess in your mixer. It offgasses some pretty noxious fumes. It's hard to break down your molds especially with low-temp metals like Aluminum.
    If you're reclaiming your sand, the catalyst still present in the old sand will screw with your new batch and make set times unpredictable. (unless you have a thermal reclaimer)

Best of luck to ya!

What are you pouring? Sodium Silicate looses a lot of strength around 1400

Adam, what percentage of pepset have you used?
    Last edited by MortyNTenon; 12-17-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Hi

The main problem is that the SS strength is not the best on the smaller more intricate cores like water passages in a cylinder head bigger bulky cores are fine nothing to do with the strength after the pour. its the strength before the pour. Still waiting for the quote on the pepset.

Doug S

In this video the guy uses 1.5% fiberglass resin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERgPEKNIEUs

Never heard of that before, pretty interesting

From my little experience and core boxes I found the SS strength with intricate cores might be enough to get them in the mold but when iron starts flowing and the SS gets hot it loses more strength yet the iron is still flowing over the delicate areas and causes problems.
    Let us know on the pepset.

pepset strength.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 10.35.13 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    In this video the guy uses 1.5% fiberglass resin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERgPEKNIEUs

Never heard of that before, pretty interesting
    That guy's a member here, his user name is "ironsides".

Quote Originally Posted by MortyNTenon View Post
    From my little experience and core boxes I found the SS strength with intricate cores might be enough to get them in the mold but when iron starts flowing and the SS gets hot it loses more strength yet the iron is still flowing over the delicate areas and causes problems.
    Let us know on the pepset.

pepset strength.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 10.35.13 AM.jpg
    It's common to use steel wire/bar to reinforce cores in industry. At the iron foundry I worked at we'd use quite a bit in the cores, always done in a manner that they could be removed from the casting on shakeout

Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    That guy's a member here, his user name is "ironsides".
    Ironsides! Tell us more about the fiberglass resin please! Any caveats to it aside from it being crazy hard? Does it decompose much when cast in?

"Portland cement as a sand binder" is a good one too
    https://youtu.be/p70HljAu8Z8

pepset

Hi all

Got the quote on the pepset two 5 gallon containers one pepset the other the hardener.
    $387.49 plus shipping. A little bit more than I would like it to be but if it does the job money well spent.

Doug S

"A little bit more than I would like it to be but if it does the job money well spent."

Definitely