Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sand binders

sand binders

Hi All

Does anyone have a supplier for a smaller quantity of pepset or similar resin binders. sodium silicate as not an option. too weak.

Thanks Doug S

If you give us a location I'm sure someone willl help.

Hi Doug,

I got your email message but the reply link says you don't wish to receive emails.

There is a major industrial foundry supplier I have bought from in Phoenix. I could work you a deal if you are interested. Send me another email with your contact info.

By the way the Pep Set I have is not necessarily stronger than sodium silicate. It does work better as it is more flexible in its early stages of curing which helps it come out of the core box better, seems to stick less to molds/core boxes, and shakeout is better, but stronger no. Maybe you are using the wrong grade of sodium silicate. You want an RU grade or similar.

Sodium Silicate for Core Making by Tom Cobett

Where to get RU Sodium Silicate
    Adam

Hi All

I have been using sodium silicate from budget casting and chembond with an activator from clay planet. both work well on large cores it is the smaller cores that are the problem too weak and brittle. I receive an email from a supplier in Minneapolis who says the will sell pepset in 5 gallon containers. going to call him back today. Doug S

P.S. I live in south east Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    Hi All

I have been using sodium silicate from budget casting and chembond with an activator from clay planet. both work well on large cores it is the smaller cores that are the problem too weak and brittle. I receive an email from a supplier in Minneapolis who says the will sell pepset in 5 gallon containers. going to call him back today. Doug S

P.S. I live in south east Wisconsin
    Like I said the Pep Set is not necessarily stronger. If your sodium silicate is too weak you are doing something wrong. Maybe its past its shelf life, the wrong grade, or your mixing ratio is off. Like I said I do think Pep Set works better but I would not say its stronger. Keep in mind it has some nasty out gassing when you pour whereas sodium silicate does not.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    This guy used epoxy as a sand binder: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ded-sand-mold/
    No too sure but think he used exactly the sort of thing Doug S is asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    No too sure but think he used exactly the sort of thing Doug S is asking about.
    Different chemicals...unless the instructables guy miss labeled "epoxy" for the pep set.

https://www.foundry-planet.com/equip...c2001df92c405b
    "...the polyurethane no bake system, so-called Pep Set system, was a potential alternative system for Grunewald. PEP SET binders are based on a polyaddition reaction between a phenolic resin (polyol component) and an isocyanate component. PEP SET involves a 3-component system consisting of a binder (Part 1), a hardener (Part 2) and a liquid catalyst. Hardening occurs without the formation of elimination and by-products such as water or formaldehyde..."

Hi All

Spoke with the rep from the company he is getting me a price quote on 5 gallons and the activator should hear from him today
    most likely the guy on instructables just called it epoxy seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I spoke with a guy years ago that does prototype engineering he said they use pepset and worked the best for them

Doug S

Mold materials and molten metal conditioning are two of the things I wish I would have paid closer attention to over the years and the time I spent in my friend's foundry. On their air-set line they had a mixer that continuously introduced and mixed the three part binder/catalyst system into the sand and it was just a matter positioning the pattern and flask under the chute, packing, filling it up, then waiting for it to kick enough to demold....which could vary a bit with ambient temperature. It was easy to take for granted it was just catalyzed binder and sand. Of course there were the 55 gallon drums of the binder system sitting there along with the belt driven conveyer and auger system feeding, mixing, and delivering the conditioned sand, and those 1000lb bags of fine foundry sand staged by the hopper on pallets .

Same goes when you have 1000lb+ of molten aluminum in a holding furnace and you just went and tapped it with a ladle to make your pours. I learned a lot from them but wish I would have asked more questions now that I'm managing all that myself. My bud is still around for advice but doesn't own the foundry any more and the things that make sense in a continuous casting commercial foundry don't always translate well to home and hobby foundries but it sure is nice to have access to commercial materials.

Best,
    Kelly
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!