Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The resultant sculpture - "The Artifact"

I like your ent sculpture, cool stuff!

We have another member here who sculpts fantasy stuff, Talespinner. He sculpts 28mm gaming miniatures using different epoxy putties such as "green stuff" (AKA Kneadatite yellow + blue, among others), for companies like Reaper and Dark Sword for spin-casting in pewter using vulcanized rubber molds. Also recently got himself set up to do vacuum assisted lost wax investment casting to enable the casting of higher melting point metals, so he can do some jewelry stuff and cast armatures for some of his sculpts, I guess the intent with those is to speed up the process by him not having to make a whole new wire armature for every (ie.) humanoid/biped figure. Anyhow, I'm rambling now... just thought you might get a kick out of some of his stuff is all.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos | TheHomeFoundry Forums

Hi Jeff,

My Ent is one of my favorite pieces. He's done in super sculpey so unfortunately he's pretty fragile. He was in a Art show a few years ago and they dropped him and I spent that night repairing him. Fortunately they didn't drop him too far.

I've actually printed off some Tanks on my 3d printer in the hopes of pour them down the line after I figure out how to get a good pour. My last one was a total disaster. I'm going to try Rasper's method first of mixing sand with the plaster and then firing the mold. If that doesn't work I will go with the full ceramic coating/lost wax method.

That being said I'm going to need to build a kiln. I found a youtube video that shows how to build a fairly sizeable on a rollaway cart! I really like that. The only challenge is finding good fire brick.

Arthur

Arthur.. Be sure to check craigslist before dumping money in a kiln. I got my working kiln from a pottery shop for a whopping 25bucks! Sure it smelled like cat piss, but that went away quickly. People will usually almost give these things away. People buy them and spend big money with the plans of being potters. Then they realize they screwed up. Most would happily give the heavy bastards away if they didnt piss away so much money buying a new one! lol...

Here is a Free one in Houston... (no location on your profile)
    https://houston.craigslist.org/art/d...420423692.html
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jagboy69
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Quote Originally Posted by jagboy69 View Post
    Arthur.. Be sure to check craigslist before dumping money in a kiln. I got my working kiln from a pottery shop for a whopping 25bucks! Sure it smelled like cat piss, but that went away quickly. People will usually almost give these things away. People buy them and spend big money with the plans of being potters. Then they realize they screwed up. Most would happily give the heavy bastards away if they didnt piss away so much money buying a new one! lol...

Here is a Free one in Houston... (no location on your profile)
    https://houston.craigslist.org/art/d...420423692.html
    Hi Jag,

Thanks! That's an excellent tip! I will definitely check that out! I'm in CT by the way.

Regards,

Arthur