Thread: Anyone have a good link to a "inexpensive" skimmer and or tongs?

Anyone have a good link to a "inexpensive" skimmer and or tongs?

Hi,

I found one out there that was 17$ but they wanted 21$ in shipping!

Anyone got any suggestions? I know a lot of you make your own equipment but that is outside my abilities at this point.

Thanks!

Arthur

Most of us here build our own... Do you have access to a welding machine?

Edit - sorry, somehow I missed the second half of your post. All the ones I've seen that are not diy creations have been way more than I would pay. Wish I could tell you otherwise.

Jeff
    Tobho had learned to work Valyrian steel at the forges of Qohor as a boy. Only a man who knew the spells could take old weapons and forge them anew.

How I built my oil furnace | My Photo Album | My Videos

Where are you located? Perhaps there is someone semi - near you that could help.
    Just an old dog, learning new tricks.

Wood actually works reasonably well, but is consumable
    edit: for a skimmer, that is

This is definitely one of those hobbies that requires some simple skills, basic tools, and the ability to pull something out of your ass that's not readily available off the shelf.

Skimmer - 2"x2" drilled flat stock section bolted on the end of some flattened rebar. Size the rebar to comfort level.
    Tongs - Get creative with a post hole digger.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

Blog Entries
    What metal are you working with? My skimmer for aluminium is a stainless steel serving spoon I bought from IKEA. Cost about €3 and has lasted for years.

For skimming cast iron, I just use scrap angle iron. It gets pretty beat up.
    Mark

Welcome to the forum lordcaine. I'm onboard with Jagboy on this one. The equipment needed for what we do isn't complex but it's expensive to buy. My tongs-welded. Skimmer-welded. Furnace-welded. etc.
    Watch Myfordboy's YouTube vids. He doesn't have a welder and gets along quite well but he's got some tools by way of skill and experience one can't buy.

Pete

Large spoon bent held on to a piece of bar with a hose clamp! I doesn't justify a photo!!