Thread: Posting for future reference :)

Posting for future reference :)

and to have time to research and look for it ^^ Materials here in the philippines are soooo tough to find.... anyway, i really want to do some really small casting for my jewelry business. I saw jewelers have this small metal container with red....... sand. I was just wondering if it is possible to prepare this sand just like what we are doing in metal casting? Cause i am not so sure if i can find this material here in the PH, cause most use plaster and machines on casting...

So if any of you guys know something or can advice me anything, please do

We tried casting small pcs with the sand i prepared at home, it was too small, the metal didn't went through XD
    we made a bigger opening (still, it didnt reached the pattern)

thank you in advance
    "Safety to all!~ good day "

hey mary, nice to see you again. The sand your talking about is called petrobond clay, but alot of jewelers call it delft clay. I know that stuff is a little bit different when casting smaller objects like jewelry than greensand, but usually it's just up to pouring temperature and some air vents being cut rather than it just feeding in to a blind hole. It has to let the air out as the metal is going in, which for small parts, thats even harder to do for metal.

If it's not filling, you'll need to look at vacuum casting or spin casting. I prefer a vacuum setup with proper investment. I'm sure you can get satincast or something similar there in the PI.
    WWW.TheHomeFoundry.org
    Visit me: WWW.HandcraftedLanterns.com
    "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war"
    -- Donald Trump --

My understanding is that delft clay used for jewelry is similar to petrobond but a finer grain sand, and expensive. I use SAE 30 non-detergent motor oil and rubbing alcohol to rejuvenate my petrobond but the problem with making it from scratch seems to be getting the bentone which is different form the bentonite in green sand. Maybe pouring hotter with more head pressure will help. And welcome back!
    People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.