Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ducati cylinder head patterns

that's a really really good idea...
    I could even do the fins with no draft... going to think about how to do this now.

It'll still may be difficult to pack the thin deep core mold. They'll be fragile and may create some tolerance issues with how they stack and are captured in the mold. Wont you have to have multiple fin core molds as the root shape and dimensions change from one fin to the next?

Best,
    Kelly
    Last edited by kcoffield; 12-08-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    My furnace build ----- I toil and fettle then foam turns to metal!

yeah, it would be maybe 12 fin core molds, but the benefit would be that I could build the molds with some .093 sheet stock on plywood, way simpler than the way I've been doing it, plus, the airspace would be a lot closer to the combustion chamber and ports if the fins have little or no draft

Quote Originally Posted by smp4616 View Post
    ....... if the fins have little or no draft
    If you decide to go that route with no draft you'll want to have the right compromise of catalyst and binder because they might be a bugger to shake out if not.

Best,
    K

will water dissolve the catalyzed sodium silicate sand? I have no problem soaking the heads for a couple days

will water dissolve the catalyzed sodium silicate sand?
    No..........

will water dissolve the catalyzed sodium silicate sand? I have no problem soaking the heads for a couple days
    If you dont uses too much (<5%) ss in the mix and quench when hot it will come out pretty easily. If you use too much ( >6%) it will be like trying to remove concrete. Atleast that is what I have noticed.
    A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor...
    http://thehomefoundry.org